Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When I play it, it's all choppy, & there's no audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HubertP

Technical User
Apr 5, 2003
US
I just got a new computer- Pentium 4- 2.4GHz, with two 80Gb 7200RPM harddrives in a RAID 0, 512Mb DDR333 RAM, and a GeForce 4 MX.
Anyway, I just installed Premiere 6 and captured a few minutes of video from my camera. I can drag the playbar over the clip in the timeline, and it's silky smooth. BUT- when I push PLAY, there's no sound and the video is REALLY CHOPPY- around 1 frame a second. It looks like a slide show! Seeing as how I can move the playbar around so smoothly (without any lag at all), I don't know why it won't play smoothly. I don't have Quicktime yet- could that be it? Any suggestions at all will help a lot! Thankyou!

Yes, I get the same thing and it's entirely likely that everyone else does too. What's probably happening is that when you press play, Premiere is playing back through your firewire card and the video is going out to your camcorder. While it does this it doesn't display every frame onscreen, nor will it playback the audio (at least I don't think it will). This appears to be a default behavior as long as your camcorder remains connected and premiere has detected it.

To get proper playback what I usually do is this:
(a) save the project & shut down premiere.
(b) turn off/disconnect the camcorder from the computer.
(c) reopen the project.

Seems to work for me.

I think you can change this behavior by messing with the program preferences but I haven't been able to do so myself.

I get this same problem with adobe 6.5 and canon xm1, so am very curious about if this can be fixed through preferences instead of removing camera everytime I want to preview a clip smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back