Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When I ping I get the wrong IP Addy returned

Status
Not open for further replies.

niallo32

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2004
IE
I have a Windows 2003 Terminal Server. Two NIC's, one for LAN and one for Load Balancing.

The LAN Nic IP is 192.168.1.1 for example
The LB Nic IP is 192.168.1.2 for example
The LB Nic 2nd IP (Cluster Address) is 192.168.1.3 e.g

I changed the Cluster address and the LAN Nic IP around and ever since, I've had no end of trouble.

I've replaced the LAN Nic and disabled the old Nic.

When I ping the Server by name, I get the Cluster IP Address back.

I checked WINS, under Active Registrations, and there is nothing listed for the Cluster Address.

There are correct entries for the LAN Address against the correct name.

When I go to Load Balancing Manager, it cant connect to the existing Cluster, I get the error message 'Host unreachable, error connecting to "Servername.Domainname"'

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Have you checked what the address record says in DNS? (if you are using it)

I has a normal & correct for it's DNS Server - is this what you are referring to?

If not, how can I check?

Thanks

it sounds to me like your dns server still has the old ip. you can use nslookup to determine if this is the case.

cheers,

Pete

When I do an nslookup, I get the first IP of the Load Balancing card - 192.168.1.2.

When I ping it I get the second IP of the Load balancing card - 192.168.1.3

When I do a Ping or nslookup of the other Terminal Server that works - I get the LAN IP Address

Does this shed any light on the problem?

Thanks

I think the next thing i'd do is go and sit at the DNS server and compare the records for the problem machine, and the one that works, see if that highlights a problem. If it all looks good then you can at least rule out a dns problem!

I checked the DNS record for that Server and it had the 1st IP Address of the Load Balancing Card - 192.168.1.2

I changed that to the IP of the LAN Card - 192.168.1.1

The Cluster IP is listed correctly in DNS

I restarted the DNS service and tried a Ping but still got the 2nd IP Address of the Load balancing card back.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

I've just noticed another thing.

We have two Domains on our Network. Call them A & B

The Domain that the Terminal Server is on is Domain B and should have no connection to Domain A

When I ping the 'working' Terminal Server, I get the correct Lan IP returned, and there is not mention of a domain after the Servername.

When I ping the Terminal Server that I'm having problems with, it returns the Servername.DomainA

I checked DNS on this domain and there was a record there for the Server with the 2nd IP of the Load Balancing card. I deleted this record and restarted DNS, but the same thing happens when I ping.

One more piece of info. The Terminal Server cannot Ping Servers on Domain A by name (though it can by IP Addy) & it cannot connect to shared drives by name either. It has always been able to do this in the past.

The other working Terminal Server can do this no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back