Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When I attach my hard drive to the PC, the power dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien111

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2002
US
Have a pc that died in the middle of the night. If you turn it on using the power button, nothing happens. I thought it was a power supply. But if I remove the hard drive the pc powers up. Of course there is nothing to bot to, but it powers up. Turn off the pc, attach the hard drive to the ide cable and power lead and the pc will have no power. Just like it is not plugged in. I tried puting the drive in another pc and it does the same thing. I can't even hook it up as a slave or the pc won't have power. Is the hard drive grounded out somehow?

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff, MCP

Probably shorted out.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

That's what I thought. Anyway to get the data off of it?

Jeff, MCP

Maybe with the controller card from an exact duplicate drive.
Probably better to let a drive repair shop have a go at it. They have contacts that might have the parts.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Sure but...
1) do some component level repair
2) get another hard drive of the same make and model and then swap out the ciruit board
3) data recovery service

It certainly sounds like the hard drive has a dead short, this is usually caused by the power supply going bad therefore I would be very suspicious of connecting a new HDD to it.
If it is a cheap generic unit (one that came with your case) you should probably replace it anyway for a good quality Antec/Enermax/Fortron/Zalman etc.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back