Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When Everything is Right, but Runs Slow Anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCCarson

Technical User
Oct 13, 2003
CA
I hesitate to place this question here, because I know I'm asking for trouble. So, caution to well-meaning advisors: this really IS a system that SEEMS to have all the tweaks in place. Plus, when I say slow, I mean it takes a second or maybe three seconds to bring up a new window--it is not instantaneous, and I think it should be. Okay?

Windows XP Pro SP-1, totally updated. A ho-hum P4VMM2--is that the problem? Intel Celeron 1.7. RAM=512, but is robbed by the video down to 479. 2 Maxtor 7200 HDDs (80 + 30 Gig), PowerMax-checked OK. CD-ROM x52 (old; seems OK) and CD-RW (new; apparently fine).

I run between 200,000 and 300,000 files, mainly data. No viruses (AntiVir Personal), no spybots (AdAware 6, Spybot, Spyware Blaster). All programs updated every 2-3 days. Everything defragged. Registry cleaned with RegSeeker, RegScrub, and Ace Utilities every few days. Slow speed regardless whether Page Files/Prefetch/Cache empty or not.

Windows system is set for speed. Very few candy-settings; pretty well a lean/mean configuration. Main drag is Windows Media Player 9, which I use most of the time to play taped CDs, BUT I've watched the Performance grab and allowed for it.

Two variables I THINK are OK: I use very little of the My-My setups; run programs via desktop shortcuts to C:\Program Files\...EXEs. Also, the desktop icons (about two dozen) are home-made and stored in C:\ICONS, not in Sys32 driver.

I run about a dozen partitions, but I've taken them right down to one or two, and run the system on just one hard drive; no real difference. Everything is NTFS; no noticeable speed dif from previous FAT32.

When the system is started in Safe Mode, it does indeed work faster (i.e. indicates software problem). It still does not "snap" from one window to another. The several-second drag is apparent in WINDOWS Explorer, so I'm not complaining about a slow Internet. (My ADSL downloads at 160 Kb/sec; seems fine.)

I used to run Millennium, and it was definitely snappier. That would be not surprising for a slower computer, but this one SHOULD be faster on XP. Plus, I was recently reminded of my slow speed when I did some trouble-shooting for a friend and saw the Zap!-speed results.

Any takers? Thanks.

Personally I do not think you have a problem 1-3 seconds sounds about right for your system, depending on the application you are running.

For Example the machine I am using at the moment has the following Spec:

Athlon 1.67 Mhz
Shuttle AK32 Mainboard
512mb DDR
1x 80GB
1x 120GB
64mb GeForce MX 440 Video Card
DVD-Rom x12
DVD -RW x4

Opening MS Word XP takes 1.5 seconds
Opening Visual Basic 6 takes 5 seconds
Internet Explorer 1 Second
MS Excel XP takes 2 seconds

What spec was your friends machine?

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

CCCarson
I also wonder if you just expect too much from the Cely 1.7
It is difficult to say for sure but the Intel Celeron 1.7 is a very slow CPU indeed (around the same performance as a AMD Duron 950 at a guess) This was recently highlighted in a Tomshardware guide review where a Celeron 2400 was soundly beaton by a Duron 1400.
Also what platform are you using? what memory type? the reason I bring this up is that there are a number of motherboards around that only use PC133 memory stock, which again seriously bottlenecks, the two together (Celeron 1.7 and SDram) unfortunately result in a very slow machine.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Good morning, fellahs. Thank you for your responses. I'm about to check out your links, Linney. Meantime, for gPalmer and paparazi, oops, this ain't looking good--indeed, I have 479MB of SDRAM, and I'm beginning to think my problems may be simply in that fateful combination, as you suggested, with a Celeron 1.7.

I have been assuming that computers like my friend's, or those I've seen operating in stores, were simply working "right," and mine had a glitch. I knew my components were cheap, but I thought that meant they were simply low-priced.... Oops.

If anyone else would like to add more to this, I'm interested.

If you don't mind, I'm going to add this data, which is above my limit of knowledge. I am now inclined to think it is the tech-specs for my having a bargain basement system. If someone would like to interpret the gist of it for me, I'd appreciate it. I ran SiSandra to get the following:

< Chipset 1 >
Model: VIA Technologies Inc VT8751 ProSavageDDR
P4M266 System Controller
Bus(es): ISA AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
Front Side Bus Speed: 4x 100MHz (400MHz data rate)
Maximum FSB Speed / Max Memory:4x 100MHz / 1x 133MHz
Width: 64-bit
IO Queue Depth: 8 request(s)

< Chipset 1 Hub Interface >
Type: V-Link
Width: 8-bit
Full Duplex: Yes
Multiplier: 1/1x
Speed: 4x 66MHz (264MHz data rate)
IO Queue Depth: 9 request(s)

< Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks >
Bank 0: 128MB SDRAM 3-2-2-6CL
Bank 1: 128MB SDRAM 3-2-2-6CL
Bank 2: 256MB SDRAM 3-2-2-6CL
Shared Memory: 32MB
Bank Interleave: 4-way
Speed: 1x 100MHz (100MHz data rate)

Multiplier: 1/1x
Width: 64-bit
Power Save Mode: No
Fixed Hole Present: No

< Memory Module(s) >
Memory Module 1: PNY Electronics 256MB 16x(16Mx8) SDRAM PC100-
322-622 (CL3 up to 100MHz) (CL2 up to 83MHz)
Memory Module 2: 256MB 8x(32Mx8) SDRAM PC133U-333-542 (CL3 up
to 133MHz) (CL2 up to 100MHz)

Having thought about things for a few days, I'm now considering removing my XP Pro SP-1, reformatting, and setting up Millennium again. Before I do, I'd like to hear whether this would make much difference, or just result in a faster slow speed.

I have lots of little programs, Internet Freeware, which I like to use for tweaking and conveniences. Does this myriad array also slow things down much? I guess what I'm asking--and why I'm continuing this in the same thread--is, once things are nicely tweaked, where ARE the significant slow-downs? I have very few programs coming on at start up and I'm not concerned with start up speed, which is OK. I'd just like the computer to move around from window to window faster--to be more "snappy."

Thanks again.

Was your XP originally an upgrade from ME, or was it a clean install?

You may well find that if you reformatted and returned to ME that your speed would return. This is a bit of a backward step in my opinion as you may also find that reformatting and re-installing XP would also produce the snappiness you seek. Set XP up as Classic view and move away from all the decorations etc.

You will not get a massive increase in performance but it may be enough for you. Try the following and see if it helps.

1) Make a system restore point.
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

This will allow you to return your system to the state it is in now if doing the following causes problems.

2) Right Click on My Computer and Click Properties. Click on the Advanced Tab > Then Click on the Settings button under the performance header. Select the option "Adjust for best performance" > Click OK.

3) Take a look at it gives some good advice on which services can be disabled and will same some resources.

4) Take a look at "What are Good Virus/Spyware?Update/Firewall Practices?" faq779-5240
It gives some good general advice, keeping your system clear of any adware, spyware, malware etc.. Will help.

5) Disable anything from startup that you do not need. The "Hijack This" software discussed in the FAQ above should help.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Thanks, guys. Linney, that's already in effect. gPalmer, already done were 1 and 2; now I've done 5-Hijack This; removed a few. I'm familiar with Black Viper, but I don't think I've got a lot more room to move on that. I think things are pretty clean.

My thinking re Millennium is that it is technically a slower program, but is effectively lighter and faster when the system is straining. Darn, I'd love to simply buy a faster system, but the rea$on$ I didn't in the fir$t place are $till there. Thanks again.

While there have been many answers here suggesting mutiple tweeks, I must I feel be a tad brutal and say that in my opinion CCarson is just expecting to much from a Celeron 1.7 processor. With all that is required by you it seems your only option is to upgrade your processor.

Yes, igb123, quite right. If you look back over the authors of the postings, you'll see we're all in agreement. The fellows were just making sure they'd covered all the bases, as I was myself.

-- I'm not sure where I'll go from here, as I can't afford better; but I did have a multiple-boot system some time ago. I could run Millennium as my fastest everyday OS, with XP Pro much reduced but present to back things up with its advantages when needed. I could also add Linux in an attempt to parallel XP Pro in a leaner, meaner alternative.

(While I'm familiar with ME and XP, I've done very little with Linux, and my previous experience was not all good. I'm not sure whether it would be an appropriate bid for speed or not.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back