Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When do you take the exams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelviticus

Programmer
Sep 9, 2003
GB
I am about to start my first ever training session on the road to my MCAD exam with a week's classroom training for exam 70-315, web apps with C#. I have no idea what to expect as although I have a fair bit of C#/ASP.Net experience, Microsoft certification is all completely new to me.

When do people normally take the exams when doing classroom training? Do you give yourself a few weeks to digest it all first or do you sit the exam as soon as the training's finished? I'm just wondering whether I need to book the exam yet.

Regards

Nelviticus

Depends on the individual and your learning style.
I don't think just attending the course is enougth.

I prefer to take an exam after I have spent an intensive week preparing for it.

I always buy two books on the syllabus.

I always buy practice tests from somewhere like They have never failed to prepare me. Many like Trancenders for practice tests.

Dazed and confused

I prefer CBTNuggets video training. You can watch it anytime you want and rewind the bits you are unsure on.

I also use Selftest software practice tests (excellent) and books. Getting a couple of opinions is always good. I usually aim to take about a month of study before exams with an intense last week. The month gives me a chance to really absorb all of the information and remember it for application in the work I do post exam.

"Assumption is the mother of all f#%kups!

I've heard many good things about CBT Nuggets.
I intend to try one later this year.

Incidently, I have a MCAD .NET and an MCDBA 2000 and for what it's worth, I found the MCAD exams the hardest of the bunch - but I had little experience in MS programming at the time.

Dazed and confused

When to take your tests will always depend on the person. For example I took some MCSE/MCSA exams right after taking the class. Some of my SQL 2005 exams I took months before the classes were available. Other exams I took with out ever taking the classes.

It all depends on how well you know the subject matter.

Once you take your first test you'll be more ready for the rest. Part of taking a Microsoft Exam is that you have to learn what Microsoft is asking for in the exam.

A few things to remember when taking Microsoft Exams.

1. Unless specified, money is of no object to the companies mentioned in the question.
2. Unless specified the hardware used will always be well below what you would use in the real world.
3. You need to give the technically write answer (falls in with the Microsoft Best Practice), not the one that you would do in a production enviroment.
4. Figuring out what Microsoft is asking for can be a challenge some times. On some questions they have to be kind of vauge so as to not give the answer in the question.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thanks for the responses, very informative. I think I'll wait until I've completed the first day's training and then either book an exam for the end of the week or for a couple of weeks later, depending on how well I think I'm coping.

Regards

Nelviticus

I like to self study. I have a lot of hands on experence already. My job is pretty relaxed, so I'm able to study at my desk and when the moment strikes, I get up, walk down the street, and thankfully they take walk-in's at a discount! It's perfect. $115 per MS test. When ever I get sick of studying and have a good or semi-good feeling, I go for it!

Joe / NYC - CCA XP, CCEA 3.0, MCP NT, MCP 2K3.

I read the microsoft press books and then get a study guide online. Sometimes I take the class then.. sometimes not.. then I cram the study guide again and take the test within a week after the training.

In most cases you can take the test after the MS class.. thats the point. I've seen people schedule their test right after the class... I find that I need to sleep and go over the key points I highlight in my study guides.

The books are always helpful though..

I took the course because it was paid for by my employer and I'm one of those people who finds it very hard to study on my own time, no matter how much I want to pass. The course was very good indeed but I'm glad I didn't take the exam right away. Instead I tried a few free questions from a practice exam at and there were several that the course hadn't covered.

I recommend everyone to try the free questions before plunging in to the exam, just in case. If you're asked things you know nothing about then you need to study more. My employer ended up buying me the full practice exam and I will now do a bit more home study, take the full practice, then take the proper exam if I feel I'm ready.

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back