Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When do we get to stay home? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritOfLennon

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2001
GB
Several years ago as I was entering work after filling my head at school and college, it was widely recognised that within a few years we would all be working at home. Now several years later and with all the necessary technology to allow me to do this, I still find that clients are unwilling to accept that I can work just as effectively from home. I have a proven track record in the industry of achieving results so it can't be that they think I will sit at home and play computer games and yet they insist that I join the early morning rush, sometimes travelling for hours through bad weather and paying one of the worlds highest gas prices. On arriving at work I am quite often left to me own devices to carry out work that I have and I sit wondering why I bothered with the drive. I live in England and would be interested to here how people in other countries see this issue. Is it just the UK, are you all sat at home smiling, busy with your work. When does anyone else feel a change may come and what may provoke it? SOL
"If I'm talking c**p, I'm probably p****d"

it really is the 21st century dream; working from home office, laptop at the corner coffee shop, or on the beach. it is amazing the demand for telecommuting and the unwillingness of companies to accept it. it suggests that companies would be able to get work done for much less cost by providing home working to those who would want it. this demand is indicated by the number of scams offering home-based work, and the huge interest in this forum. the objection is that company organisations don't want to pay by results; bosses need people in the office to boss and home working requires a greater amount of planning, organisation, and communication. during the dot-com frenzy, there were many job sites organising off-site projects ( i did two very pleasant and productive projects that way); but the dot-com bust seemed to end these sites as far as i can tell. its back to tie, jacket and shiny shoes.

For most of us, telecommuting is simply a way for our employer to extract extra, unpaid work hours - on top of those worked in the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back