Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When calling a stored proc, how can I get the number of records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokuzumi

Programmer
Sep 16, 2002
US
I have a stored procedure that I need to know how many records were returned in the recordset. I have been reading up on the recordset.recordcount method, but everything seems to be for inline sql, not stored procedures. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

There is not that much difference between a recordset based on a SQL-stement or a Stored Procedure:

<%
set conn = server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Connection&quot;)
conn.Open &quot;DSN=TT&quot;
set rs = server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.recordset&quot;)
rs.open &quot;MyStoredProc&quot;, conn

if not rs.eof
response.Write rs.recordcount
end if
%>

hth,
Foxbox
ttmug.gif

Well, sorry to say, but that didn't help me. It looks like the recordcount method isn't very reliable. I tested your code on a stored proc that definately returns a recordset, and it gives me a value of -1. Also my stored procedure accepts two parameters....both integers.

If the provider does not support this property or the count cannot be done, a value of -1 will be returned.

The type of cursor being used by the Recordset affects whether this property can return a valid count. In general, you can obtain the actual count for a keyset and static cursor. However, you may get either a -1 or the count if a dynamic cursor is being used, and you cannot get a count if a forward-only cursor is being used (-1 is returned).

For forward only recordsets recordcount always returns -1. Your alternative is to use rs.open with a different cursorset (adcursorStatic or adCursorDynamic
perhaps).

hth,
Foxbox
ttmug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back