Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When An Administrator Is Not An Administrator Anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SorryDog777

Programmer
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hi, Sorry if this is a little long.

I tried the forum search feature, but it said that it was down for maintenance and to try again later.

I'm tech support for a small company with a pc that has windows xp pro sp1 installed that won't let me get into the "Users And Groups" window (available by right clicking on my computer, then manage), or from the advanced button in control panel then users.

I have an administrator account with my current logon. I also have the login for the administrator account. Both fail to allow the users and groups to show. What shows when users and groups open is a big red "X" with the message: "Unable to open Users and Groups. The error is: unspecified error."

This pc is on a domain and I have tried logging on as administrator on the domain as well as the local pc account. Still get the same result.

I discovered this problem when I went to install a new version of Roxio on the pc. Roxio said that I had to re-boot the pc with administrator rights, Which I do and was currently logged on as administrator. Roxio won’t run. After searching Roxio website for the solution, It said that I need administrator rights to make changes in the registry. I can't install the original version of Roxio, as I need to logged on as administrator, which I am. Does this make sense???

A little more info for you:
This pc along with 18 others on my network has been hit with spy ware. After manually cleaning off the spy ware and installing Spy Sweeper, I did a scan with spy sweeper to remove the remaining spy/ad ware. I have about 5 other pc's with this same problem but they are windows 2000 pro sp2 and sp4.

Anyone know about any spy ware that attacks windows in which disables users and groups??? Is there anyway to fix this problem short of a repair install?

I did try a system restore on the above pc with the same results.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SD

Not sure of a solution to your problem exactly, but before you try a repair install, try performing a System Restore. Perhaps try restoring to the point before Roxio was installed, then the point before the spyware scan - it may have removed something it shouldn't have.

System Restore should be located under Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.

Hope this helps.

Do you have any access via typing Control Userpasswords2 in the Start Run Box?

You receive a “Cannot open <Snap-in Name>” error message when you try to start MMC on a Windows XP-based computer

297064 - Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft Management Console

See Help in "Computer Management". "To add an item to a new MMC console for a local computer".

As far as Roxio is concerned make sure you have permission to write to the Registry Keys required by Roxio. Right-click on the Keys to check permissions.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates (no problem if you substitute them with SP2) but your files and programs will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried them all except for the repair install.

Here's a couple of pics of the error if that would help:

This one is from the "manage" selection.

This one is from the run (control showpasswords2).

So unless anyone has any other suggestions or tips, it looks like a repair install.

By the way.... This is my boss's pc.

Must fix Roxio.

Again, thanks for your help.

SD

Something else you can look at but I would be surprised if it applied.

Location: Group Policy\User Configuration\Windows Components\Microsoft Management Console\Restricted/Permitted snap-ins\

Description:
Permits or prohibits use of this snap-in.

If you enable this setting, the snap-in is permitted. If you disable the setting, the snap-in is prohibited.

If this setting is not configured, the setting of the "Restrict users to the explicitly permitted list of snap-ins" setting determines whether this snap-in is permitted or prohibited.

-- If "Restrict users to the explicitly permitted list of snap-ins" is enabled, users cannot use any snap-in except those explicitly permitted.

To explicitly permit use of this snap-in, enable this setting. If this setting is not configured (or disabled), this snap-in is prohibited.

-- If "Restrict users to the explicitly permitted list of snap-ins" is disabled or not configured, users can use any snap-in except those explicitly prohibited.

To explicitly prohibit use of this snap-in, disable this setting. If this setting is not configured (or enabled), the snap-in is permitted.

When a snap-in is prohibited, it does not appear in the Add/Remove Snap-in window in MMC. Also, when a user opens a console file that includes a prohibited snap-in, the console file opens, but the prohibited snap-in does not appear.

Thanks for all your help.

I finally ended up doing a repair install.

The snap in is ok now, but still have problems with Roxio.

I will work it out in a matter of time.

Thanks again.

SD

Isn't that what NERO said while he fiddled around?

Hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back