Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's wrong with my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nero64

Technical User
May 29, 2002
AU
I have a problem with my PC. I think it might be some virus but i have done scans and i get no viruses detected. What happens is my computer freezes and the mouse cursor slows down and becomes unusable. Also when the screensaver kicks in i get these problems as welL. If i reboot it fixes it, but i have to do ALT/F4 repeatedly to reboot. I did have the SWEN A trojan on one of my hard disks but i got rid of it. Is it possible i have a bios virus or something.

Check your Task Manager for any unsual processes runing and post back.

Zaheer Ahmed Iqbal
I.T Systems Support Engineer
Bsc. (Hons).

Hi there,

yes check the TaskManager... then run AdAware and SpyBot both are spyware/dialer detectors... then I would check all of your startup progies (the ones displayed on the taskbar by the clock) get rid of those you don't really need... check your SWAP file, make it a static size (2x your installed MEM max) and on one drive only (preferrable C:)...

tell us what OS you are using...

Ben

For unneccessary processes you can run msconfig or try downloading EnditAll, a program that looks a lot like Task Manager but can kill just about any processes you want. Use with caution, though

If you've already scanned you PC using the current virus protection definitions available, then your problems are probably not caused by a virus. The other suggestions listed here are all good posibilities. The other posibility is that your operating system is messed up, possibly beyond repair, and that you'll need to redo your computers software.

There's a good detector called stinger.exe found on Symantec website. sorry not sure what the url is.

Try increasing the virtual memory in the machine, also check to see if the power supply is enough run the motherboard and all devices.

Check cpu and system tempeture's, are there any errors in device manager or event viewer. See if theres enough space on the hard drive.
hope this helps,

rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back