Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the right Oscilloscope to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon80FLT

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
US
Hi All!

I have finally decided to buy an Ocilloscope after 10 years of repair work without one! I will be using the scope to repair Computers, TV, VCR, DVD, CD, LD, and stereos.

My question is: What should the scope's Bandwidth capacity be, to perform repairs on the above types of equipment?

I have seen 20MHz, 60MHZ, 100Mhz, and 200MHz scopes...the higher the frequency capacity, the more expensive. I have a limited budget, so, I don't want to get a scope that is too big, or too little for my proposed use.

Thanks for any input!
Jon

Up front I'll have to admit that I haven't used a scope on a computer in probably 10 years. So I would guess that you won't either. So the choice would be to buy a speed that will allow you to look at the other things you want to fix and use that if you need to on a computer.
I would suspect that 100mhz will do anything you need.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Two channels, high bandwidth for analog mode,
not necessarily high bandwidth for storage mode.
NO menues, all functions accessible by buttons.
G.Hoffmann

Not sure of your budget, but why not try a used test equipment seller, and look for a Tektronix 465B ? Solid 100Mhz scope, and at around $400 for a used but maybe not perfect cosmetically one you can't go wrong. I think it would be perfect for all the stuff you listed. Many Army Surplus places stock a militarized version. Parts and service are no prob for this gear, its a well known "classic"

Thanks all, I think I'll be looking at 200MHz scopes. I'm sure I'll only need at least a 100MHz scope, but a 200MHz only costs about 10% more, so I'll probably get the 200.

Thanks for all the help,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back