Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the Proper Way to Backup MSDE Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorDos

MIS
May 8, 2003
US
I need to backup an MSDE database using Arcserve 2000. Does anybody know the best way to accomplish this? Will the Backup Agent for SQL work? Or Open file agent? Something that will backup the database when it's still being used is what I'm looking for.

Thanks

One would think it would since MSDE is based on MSSQL 2000 however it could also be disabled somehow either by MS or CA so ultimately you'll have to get the info from CA as to whether their backup agent works with it or not.

If it doesn't your only other option will probably be to do a backup to disk and then backup those files with a normal backup agent - if that functionality is supports by MSDE (backing up to disk directly).

If thats not supported either you're dead and will need to shutdown MSDE to back it up. It could be scripted and run at a certain hour though so not all is lost perhaps.. depends on your requirements.

The SQL agent can be used to backup MSDE. I have done this in the past and it worked fine.

Thanks for the information! Exactly what I needed to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back