Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the next router up from a 3945? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinesjrh

MIS
Jan 4, 2005
US
I am looking to upgrade from my current 3845, which I am pushing the limits on and I don't think a 3945 is a good long term solution. My 3845 is running at 70% - 80% CPU during the day since I have added more bandwidth to it (full DS3 plus 100 Mbps Ethernet w/ BGP) and have a growing ACL. This router acts as my gateway between my core and almost 70 remote sites. Looking for suggestions. Are there valid alternatives to Cisco I should look at?

The number of remote sites will continue to grow, as will the corresponding bandwidth needs.

A 3945 has a lot more horsepower than a 3845. Most likely your acl is causing the cpu issues especially if you are logging the hits. With that said the Cisco 7200 series and the Cisco ASR's are the next step above the 3945s.

Thanks brianims. Do you think the ACL logging uses significant CPU? How can I turn that off?

Remove the keyword "log" from the end of the ACE entry.

Logging forces the CPU to process-switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back