Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whats the future of NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

endlesswinter

IS-IT--Management
Mar 31, 2005
US
is there anything new with the NEC.

I have a NEC with vangaurd mail looking to move toward ip, does NEC have any ip solutions? All i have heard from sales people is the Nortel BCM is the wave of the future. Is it, or dose NEC have a reasonable solution?

NEC also have the Univerge sv7000 ip platform

Nec are one of the leading suppliers of IP solutions end of story.

Try talking to NEC sales instead of the Nortel people and you may just find out what NEC can offer. You can probably even upgrade your current system (IVS/IPS/IMX) to full Voip capability.

The real question is what is driving your push towards Voip? Unless you are looking at a greenfields site a move to Voip is hard to justify on a cost basis as there is no saving in infrastructure costs as that money has already been spent. Even for a small satelite office it is hard to make an arguement for replacing the entire telephone system at the head office.

We work with NEC and 3COM. What direction were you looking to take? Also take a look at the new LinksysOne.com, as I see it as a really COOL product.

Thanks alot everyone. I guess the ip solutions im looking for is people working from home or on the road. The bcm offers software, hardware phones. I should talk with a nec dealer as well. The problem is the company that installed our system is no longer in business and the tech that does our swervice work is a nortel guy. I have i

Yes but Nortel never won Product of the Year with Internet Telephony Magazine as did the NEC.
The home user can use the existing NEC Dterm (With an IP adapter connected to it) or one of 3 different softphones running on theor laptop/pc.
Best yet the NEC you currently have can probably be upgraded with only a few pieces of hardware minimising cost. This is dependent on what you have of course. An NEC NEAX 2000 can be upgraded form the original version (1993/4) to the latest in IP Telephony by simply changing out the processor and adding an IP card in one of the conventional card slots. See if Mr Nortel can match that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back