Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what's the feelings on patch 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry712

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
GB
i never rolled patch 10 out
still only up to 9

is 11 worth it or is it hassle

I began testing Patch 11 on my test PCs when it came out. Here are the things I encountered.

On one PC, after installing Patch 11, the PC appeared to reboot by itself after a couple of minutes (about 5 to 10) of inactivity. Removing Patch 11 and reinstalling VirusScan without Patch 11 and the reboots stopped on that one PC. This may be a one-off thing as I didn't see any of my other PCs do this.

Since I also use PatchLink at my office, I noticed that after installing Patch 11 on my test PCs, the GravitixService process on all of those test PCs at Patch 11 began eating up +250 MB of RAM. Again, removing VirusScan and reinstalling it with the patches up to Patch 9 corrected the problem. My PatchLink agents are performing normally now and all test PCs running Patch 11 have all been rolled back.

Given that all my PCs use PatchLink, I'm not prepared to upgrade to Patch 11 until all issues are resolved.

Good luck with your testing.

Patch 11 fixed our scripting software issues, but with that came issues with the buffer overflow component which caused our network traffic to grind to a halt. Trying to run anything that queried the network, or installing apps off the network were impossible.

McAfee issued a fix for this. Patch 11a. An escalated case is required to get this fix.

Apparently it's not an uncommon problem.

I would stick with patch 9... you can see my problems with patch 11 in a later thead at this forum. We now have problems with BSOD when uninstilling VSE 80i with patch 11a so dont go there before mcafee release patch 12 or ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back