Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the difference between total page views and unique page views? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aishaa

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
CA
Hi

What's the difference between total page views and unique page views?

Ty
aishaa

total pages view = the total number times a page is viewed/accessed...

unique pages view = the total number times a page is viewed per computer...
, in other words the number of times a page is viewed from a paticular PC... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Sorry forgot to mention that in unique pages the counter only counts it once, regardless of many visits from one PC...and toal pages will keep adding to the counter no matter how many times you viist... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

It's based on unique IP Addresses as well. It won't count hits from the same computer unless it's IP Address changes (dial-up account vs. DSL or broadband).

Also I was wondering why some of the referring pages come from 'unknown' - what is that?

Ty

Not sure what you mean..."unknown"?? I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

From where I work, part of the IP addresses are hidden when a user access the internet. This would come up as unknown on the stats for some pages. So to answer your question, unknown may come up if the user is behind a firewall or have certain configuration settings.

ok now I understand
Ty
Aishaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back