Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the diff. between (Administrator, Users, Everyone) & WORKGROUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

keysol

Programmer
Feb 27, 2001
CA
Are the group names Everyone, Administrator and Users reserved names?
If I delete Everyone for example, is it just as simple to re-create it?
Is Administrator, Users and Everyone the same as WORKGROUP and MSHOME?

Gerr

Group names are not reserved names, you are able to have usernames the same as group names.

If you delete a group name it is not as simple as recreating it. Each group name is give a unique ID number. It is this ID number that is used when determinig User rights etc.

If you create a folder and give the group Users Full access but deny access to all other user groups, then delete the Users group you will no longer be able to access that folder. Even if you create a new group called Users.

Workgroups are how computers identify each other across a network. I.e. if you have a network of 4 pc's, 2 have Workgroup Name of MSHOME and 2 have Workgroup Name of TEKTIPS then only the 2 that have the same names will be able to see each other.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

When I go to Shared Folders ->Shares and double-click on the shared folder, two groups are listed: "Everyone" and "Users".
Both, members of "Everyone" and "Users" have full control.

Am I wrong in thinking that "Everyone" means just that and regardless what limited acces I give to other groups "Everyone" overides everything?

I want to control who has access and to what degree.

I read how I should delete "Everyone" and determine the level of access that the "Users" members should have.

I'm worried that if I delete the "Everyone" group and things don't work out, that is to say I lock out everyone, I might not make it back to square one.

If things do work out then I would create a second group and give it's members access to another shared folder.

You need to take a few inuntes, find some resources on security and read them carefully before proceding. Everyone means just that...any user, pc, service or other has those rights. Users are just that....people generally.

Generally, if you remove the everyone group and no other group is there, you are FOREVER locked out of the file....even as an admin because the admin is also a memeber of the everyone group.

File (read NTFS) security can be quite tricky if you are not comfortable with it. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go removing things until you either ask someone with some expertise or gain some knowledge on the subject yourself. If you study it yourself, I HIGHLY recommend testing your ideas on something that doesn't matter...such as another PC with copied data...that way if you totally screw things up, you are not hosed.

People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+
w: rljohnso@stewart.com
h: wildmage@tampabay.rr.com

I've gone in and removed permissions on a shared folder to "Everyone" without actually deleting the "Everyone" group (I simply unchecked ful control, change and read. This effectively locked out everyone.

I then added three users to the "Users" group giving them
full control. None the less, they have no access to the shared folder! If I restore full control to the "Everyone" group members they're able to access the folder.

Where am I going wrong?

Gerr

Have you added the USers group to the Shared Folder?

Greg Palmer

Yes, I did add the "Users" group to the shared file.

Gerr

Are you clicking Deny on any of the settings? Deny settings override any Allow Settings!! Even for Administrator.

Greg Palmer

there are 2 sets of permissions that need to be met...

right click on the folder or file that you are trying to share.. click properties

1. sharing, select share this folder then click on permissions... should only have the owner, and the users who you want to access it.
2. security - whatever you want.. I would include system for backups, the local admin and your account, as well as the users that will be accessing it.

nlm9802 said:
...right click on the folder or file that you are trying to share.. click properties

1. sharing, select share this folder then click on permissions... should only have the owner, and the users who you want to access it.

When going to Administration tools, Computer management, shared tools, shares and I right click on the shared foldero I have two groups: "Everyone" and "Users"

I went into folder properties, clicked on Security tab and highlighted "Users". The permissions allowed were:
Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, and Special permissions.

I clicked Advanced, highlighted "Users --- Special". The permissions (applied to all folders and subfolders)allowed were:
Create Files/Write Data, Create Folders/Append data.

I clicked Advanced, highlighted a second entry line "Users". The permissions (applied to all folders and subfolders)allowed were:
Traverse folders/Execute file, List folder/read data, Read attributes, read extended attributes and read permissions.

Gerr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back