Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whats the best way to exclude files from scans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiddy

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2001
US
Whats the best way to exclude files from being scanned. We have a package that our customer has developed that av keeps picking up as hacker tools. I see that you can exclude certain extensions but then that would leave me excluding all executables and thats not a good solution. I also see that you can exclude certain folders from being scanned. I cant always promise that users will install the application in a said excluded directory. Also, I belive that windows native backup backs up some of the files and then symantec picks then up. I just want to be able to omit example abcd.exe from any directory. Could I possibly input *\abcd.exe in the folder exclusion area?

Secondly, symantec av keeps picking up stuff in the recycle bin, would i simply omit the recycle bin in my scans.

Windows 2000 pro, server, windows xp, amd windows 2003 server

av version 9.0.3.1000

Thanks in advance

HTH - Stiddy

On the recycle bin you have to disable scanning of that, and you can set the folders but otherwise you will have to deal with it on a case by case basis if they install into another folder.

You can also change the way SAV handles that specific type of threat.

Luke Richey, MCSE
Tometa Software, Inc.
Get stress relief at

How can I "You can also change the way SAV handles that specific type of threat. ?"

Also, about the recycle bin. It is my understanding that a windows system has a folder named c:\recycler if the OS is installed on the c partition. Also, for every user profile created, a seperate recycle bin is created for each. Does the contents of each users recycle bin populate the c:\recycler direcory? If so then it would be possible to omit the c:\recycler directory but impossible to omit every user's profile recycle bin. Any ideas?

HTH - Stiddy

If you are using SAV corporate we do it through a policy. I am not sure how to do it on the client.

In our user creation process we disable the recycle bin on their local drive as part of the group they are assigned too and in their my documents recycler manually.

Luke Richey, MCSE
Tometa Software, Inc.
Get stress relief at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back