Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

whats the best way to do promotions on a POS unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibasis

Technical User
Mar 1, 2002
Whats the best way to do promotions to keep it completely scalable.

Any Ideas? Suggestions.

That's a really general question, almost too general too be answered. My first two questions would be 1) What kind of promotions are you trying to do (for instance BOGO, 1/2 off, etc) and 2) When I think promtions, I am not sure scalability is a factor... most systems are designed to have individual promotions configured indepently, but what you can do will ultimately be determined by the system you are using. What POS system are you working with?

We write our own POS software. Right now we are in the process of migrating our POS Software to .Net, We configure our promo's individually right now, we would like to throw in newer promotions during peak time based on business intelligence for over 2 weeks of data. Thought this is a good time to reasearch scalability.

The kind of promos we run are

10% off entire purchase
BOGO's select items.
25% off select Gifts.
Free Shipping after a specific amount
Buy 3 Get the 3rd one 25% off
etc

I was wondering if someone has come up with a generic algorightm for doing this in the retail industry.

McDondalds software does something similar to what I think you are asking. Since they started making food to order, they developed a way to have the system preorder certain items like cheeseburgers and bigmacs by forecasting from the current data to help get the kitchen ahead during peak hours. Don't know how it works because I am not a programmer at that level, but maybe you can find a contact with this direction.

Bo

I'm a man,, I can change,, If I have too,, I guess. (Red Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back