Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the best way to approach this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grassaj

Programmer
Mar 1, 2002
US
I have a multiple back-end databases because we one db just can't hold all of our data. So, we have db1, db2, etc. I would like to just copy all the tables from the specified back end to my new db (dbNew) that I'm creating so that I can access the data to do my analysis. Is there a relatively simple way to do this? I get confused because I'm not sure how to write the SQL statement that references the db1 and dbNew. Or maybe there's a better way?

PS I'm not allowed to link the tables, do to the general fear that that might create changes to the back-end. In other words, I just need to take a snapshot of the current data. Thanks!

Your description is slightly confusing. You have multiple databases because of size restriction, but you now CAN combine them?

Is the size restriction purely down to hardware? i.e. have you got exactly the same database table structure on different hard-drives?

Even if you have, I don't understand how you can access both sets of data from one 'user front-end' without using 'links'.

I think that you simply open each database table - one after the other until you do (or do not) find the record that you want - is this the case?

Please post a reply.

ATB

Daz

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience."

Link ONE (default) set of tables. Provide a combo box with the path info for the other .MDB's. At run time, select an alternate db and modify the links dynamically.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

select each table name (one at a time) then cntl c for copy and go to database where snapshot will be filed and press cntrl v for pasting. each table will be pasted, not linked, into the new database. repeat for each table.
querys, reports etc... can be done this way too - yet without pasting Record Source automatically. each file must be copied and then pasted.

marknla2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back