Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the best Remote Access Software 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmyers

MIS
Aug 8, 2001
US
Hello! I am a manager of a small Help Desk (4 people) that oversees 150 PC's over a WAN (Frame Relay). What is the best Remote Access software for the money? I would like something that is pretty responsive and easy to deploy to the remote PCs.

I have looked at PC Anywhere, but that is pretty costly and seems pretty sluggish during testing. I have also looked at Remote Administrator, but haven't heard much about it although it seems faster than PC Anywhere. Remote Administrator is also cheaper.

Is there other software that I should be looking at? Isn't there something that doesn't require software to be loaded onto the remote PCs? We want basic Help Desk functions: Bring up their screen on ours, take control, file transfer, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi all
In win Xp the remote Desktop will work over a ip address
i haven't tryed it but it will install on win2000

Good Luck

We use Remote Administrator and it works well for us. Installation is a snap and you can make more than one connection to a desktop (one in full control mode, the rest in view only mode, great for instruction...).
The connections are fast, and the interface is very easy to follow.
While we also have PCAnywhere, we do not use that program.

Hope this helps.

Corie

hi
i have a toshiba laptop, it has bluetooth on it when i use the normal modem to connect to the host its fine with pcanywhere but when i use my mobile as a modem through bluetooth it crashes and restarts the computer. does anyone know why?

im using windows XP Tablet edition

i paid 149.99 for pcanywhere version 10.5

I use Proxy from Funk Software ( It allows me to support two remote locations over a 256K Frame Relay WAN and works with my VPN over the internet as well. It has file transfer capabilities as well as remote printing. I've been using it for 4 years with no complaints! You can download a 30 day trial from their web site.

mapman04

Try RTVNC developed by Att labs in the UK. Theyahave released it under the GNU public license si it is free,

I too was about to ask this question.

We have used PCAnywhere in the past, and in my opinion the best I've used so far. We are currently using Intel landesk's remote control feature and have used the VNC product as well.

On a LAN, all work very well, in fact if all I was using was lan I choose vnc being it's free!

On a Wan however we see a huge speed decrease on Landesk and VNC. Going from a half second response time (LAN) to about a 7-15 second response time (WAN).

PcAnywhere goes from a half second response time (LAN) to at most a 4 second response time (WAN).

Now, it may have something to do with the way we are setup. I see my slowest times when connected to a remote office like this....

Controlling Machine --> Frame Relay --> Home office --> VPN Concentrator(home office) --> Remote VPN Concentrator --> Controlled Client

Anyone else know of a Remote Control product that performs well over WAN like PCAnywhere, but costs less? They're too damn expensive....

8ball You were born an original. Don't die a copy!

Has anyone tried Remotley Anywhere... Is that any good?

You can use VNC......its free....realvnc.com

or use DameWare Mini Remote Control,,,,,its good!!!

most easy way of connecting remotely to others computer is using win xp,
but u have to the admin password of other pc. also that pc would disable its firewall options or has to give permission for remote access.
rasika.
please don't care about my bad english.
tanx.

I have used many remote access software products and by far VNC is my favorite...and its free.

bluskull.gif

We are using "Dameware for NT" in our helpdesk and take control all NT resources in Lan/Wan.

I use TightVNC for this... It's free, so i'd say it's the best for the money :)

As far as deploying... Are you running a win2k server? I use Hyena to manage my Active Directories and servers, and it can also deploy and launch VNC on remote clients. Hyena costs around $100 for a one-administrator license (as many machines as you want). Otherwise, tightVNC fits on a floppy :)

VNC is the best. Is very easy to use, small and the most important is tottaly FREE !!!

If you use Windows NT, 9x and up....want speed and ease, go with NetMeeting. It is automatically installed on all Windows 98 and up and it's free as long as you have windows.
Go to Start, click Run, type conf, and there you go!
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back