Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the best "It's nothing we've done" fault you've seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amriddle01

Programmer
May 2, 2007
GB
Just a bit of fun for a friday, Mine is when a customer said "Soft Console will not log in....but nothing has changed". We get down there they had changed the IP address range on the network from 192.168.1.0 to 10.0.0.0 and all the PC's now had roaming profiles also the VM/licence PC was now sat on Reception as a customers access to the net!! :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Had a 3 site SCN, customer called saying site 3 is down and cant make any calls in or out, no voicemail, nothing. Get on site and come to find that the processor at site 3 now somehow has the config of site 1, but of course they hadnt done anything.

thats a good one.

i have been told a story that happened before i joined the company i am currently at, not quite a "nothings changed" but hey.

client complaining that one extn had really low volume. and the other party could never hear them,

moved ports, swapped modules, swapped controllers, swapped handsets. changed just about every peice of hardware, could never replicate the fault, just get a call from client all the time with "its happening again"

then one day one of the engineers was sat with them trying to work it out

3 months, 2 406's, countless modules and handsets later....

you guessed it, the guy had his little finger over the mic. for every single phone call he ever made.

the worrying thing is he was one of the top people there.

I have had a customer who told me that nothing orked anymore except for the receptionist her phone

Turned out to be a separate phone on an analog line and the rest as on an old pbx in a waiting room and someone pulled the plug :)

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Some customers are very good for moral aren't they. Like the lady we worked with who would move stickers with the extension number on from one handset to another and would ring us to log a fault that the "number had not changed when she moved the label". Classic :)

It's beacause when we did it onsite for her once she saw the engineer move the labels and when he rang the handset the number had changed....yes but he had changed it in programming first. Worst thing was for reasons I can't imagine she was actually their IT rep.

Someone else must have come accross this:

Customer reports phone system keeps going off and then coming back on again after a while. Various engineers visit site and cannot find anything wrong.

After a few weeks of customer complaining the senior engineer had had enough and sat onsite from 08:30 to watch it all day if needed until it went off.

at 17:15 it finally did, when the cleaner turned up and needed somewhere to plug in her vac!!! Anyone guess which socket she used???

Or how about this:

Customer phones in and reports system is down. Engineer goes down and sure enough system is off. He goes to the system behind the reception desk and it is unplugged. He questions the Receptionist and she admitted she turned it off. She was getting warm and thought it was a heater. Anyone think an SDX INDeX looks like a radiator??

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Friday afternoon, a place far away (good 3 hour drive one way) voicemail down is the problem description, tried dialing into the voicemail modem (no ISDN lines her in North America) and actually can connect to it but can't reach the IP office from the voicemail to open a config, so I ask them if anything had changed on their network and they said that they don't do their own networking and the network guy has not been in in weeks, drive there and sure enough they added a wireless access point that morning and forgot that the IT guy was in and used the IP address of the phone system.
I guess with the IPO it is mostly IT that makes my life a living hell.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Had a guy call my company for help and stated that they want a new telephone vendor. "the company we used to have can't do what we want them to do and we want to hire you". I went out to see what the problem was. The guy says "Our phones don't work and I need you to fix them" OK, Where is your closet, I ask? He brings me to his data room and I can see the server, patch panel, 1 router, a 24 port switch all neatly placed in a 2 post rack. I asked, "you have Merlin Majix telephones, whare is the phone system?.....................You guessed it! "it's across the hall, we moved two days ago! What a tool!

1st one this year
I just had to post this..........

Customer complains can no longer transfer calls on the reception phone.
I went to site, IP office 5410 handset…..
Works okay for me, so I thought I will see if it happens again.
She got new longer false finger nails for a Christmas present.
When she try’s to press the transfer key, the finger nail presses the hold key first.

[bigears]

Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm.Or is that another upgrade?

ACA - Implement IP Office

I have 2 that I always tell

I was working by Indianapolis and got a call for static on a phone. Nice 2 hour drive from home. Get there and its a bad handset cord. Put a new one on and all is good. 2 days later I get another ticket for static on a different phone... Some one grabbed the old cord out of the garbage because it was longer. I now cut all cords I replace.

Up in Chicago I installed a new phone. A week or two later I get a call that it is not working. I get up there and the buttons are all sticking, but the phone looks fine. I ask "did you spill anything on the phone?" No No No they say. I call my boss and tell them they spilled something on the phone and ask if he wants me to pop the warranty sticker because it won't be covered anyway, he says go ahead. I open it up in front of them and it is caked with cola on the inside. Story now changed to "well i did spill cola on it, but I wiped it up really fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back