Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the best anti-spyware s/w?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dialtone

MIS
Jan 30, 2002
US
I've downloaded spybot, and it works, but won't get rid of apropos. Don't know who to trust on what's next, any recommendations, please? Doesn't have to be freeware, just has to be effective!

Thanks Much!

=hang up & drive=

[yinyang]

dialtone

Quick check: did you update Spybot with the latest detection updates? Go to Update and click "Search for Updates", tick them all then click "Update Now" to download them. Then, once they have downloaded and spybot has restarted, scan the system again.
My definitions are dated 31 Dec 2003 (downloaded yesterday) - you can find yours out by goint to Help -> About and looking at the latest detection update date.

John

Thanks, I updated multiple times, but it still wouldn't get rid of apropos, and others kept coming back too. I decided to bite the bullet and bougt Spy Sweeper and Window Washer (joint discount deal) from Webroot.com, and it got rid of everything. It sucks that you have to pay to get rid of this stuff, but after the time I spent dealing with it, it's worth it. So far, I'm totally satified.

=hang up & drive=

[yinyang]

I had the same problem with Apropos. The following is from
1. Start the registry editor. This is done by clicking Start then Run. (The Run dialog will appear.) Type regedit and click OK. (The registry editor will open.)
2. Browse to the key:
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run'
3. In the right pane, delete the values called 'POP' and 'AutoUpdater', if they exists.
4. Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {645FD3BC-C314-4F7A-9D2E-64D62A0FDD78}', if it exists.
5. Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {65C8C1F5-230E-4DC9-9A0D-F3159A5E7778}', if it exists.
6. Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {B3BE5046-8197-48FB-B89F-7C767316D03C}', if it exists.
7. Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Browser Helper Objects \ {2737A6C0-7E24-11D7-B299-00E0297E0844}', if it exists.
8. Browse to the key:
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbar'
9. In the right pane, delete the value called {645FD3BC-C314-4F7A-9D2E-64D62A0FDD78}, if it exists.
10. Browse to the key:
'HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbar \ WebBrowser'
11. In the right pane, delete the value called {645FD3BC-C314-4F7A-9D2E-64D62A0FDD78}, if it exists.
12. Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall \ AMServer \ DisplayName', if it exists.
13. Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ POP \ Files', if it exists.
14. Exit the registry editor.
15. Restart your computer.
16. Delete the following directory:
c:\Program Files\AutoUpdate
Se if this helps.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
[/sup]

Why don't you give Ad-aware a try. It's worked for me everytime.

Unfortuantely, Apropos tends to slip under most spyware programs including Spybot and Ad-aware. I run them daily and Lord of the Rings screen saver still installed Apropos. They could see Apropos but they couldn't get rid of it. :-(

James P. Cottingham
[sup]
[/sup]

Is anyone familiar with Spyhunter?? if so, does it work well?

Spy Sweeper got rid of Apropos, and has kept it off since. It's not freeware, but it worked. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

=hang up & drive=

[yinyang]

Aprpos? I hate to admit it, thinking I am informed in this area, but I am not familiar with it.

I know about spyhunter but it says its free but it is and it will detct spyware but in order to remove it you have to purchase the program, so it is hard to tell if it would be any better than lets say, spybot or adaware 6.o the free versions?? be better if they let you have like a 15 day trial and see if it is worth buying, almost makes me think it is not?? but you could always go to and look up spyhunter and read the reviews people have written about it. There are people who have bought the programs and write reviews on it. For more information

Also found this registry key entry:
12. Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall \ Aproposclient

I now have Pest Patrol, Memokit, Spysweeper, and Window Washer running - all purchased and downloaded from the web, and I'm running pop-up-free for 2 weeks now. Spysweeper is available from webroot.com, and Pest Patrol is available from pestpatrol.com. I'm steamed that I had to spend $$$ to get this problem resolved. What a scam.

=hang up & drive=

[yinyang]

I use Ad-Aware 6, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, and Spyware Guard. I update all four several times a week and run them at least weekly. When I ran Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D yesterday, it found zero spyware.

Terry
* General Disclaimor - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

Let me know if this is not related:

But I have gotten a curious error with my IE 6 browser ever since being invaded by the AproposClient virus --

When ever I try to navigate to a non-existant domain, I get a web page that reads --

"Search the Web - Incorrect Error Page"

This web page has some sort of search input field, links to things like Business and Adult Entertainment.

And the links appear to point back to contexualsearch.com.

How do I get rid of this annoying web page?

(I believe that I have followed all the steps to get rid of Apropos.)

JKoontz

Post a HijackThis log file here and I'll look at it.

John

jkoontz,

Please make sure you start a new thread. Piggy backing onto another thread with a HJT log can be very confusing for botht the one with the problem and those trying to help with the problem.

But, yes, post a log and we'll take a look.

Terry
* General Disclaimor - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back