Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's "proper" way to move Seagate Info 7 from one machne to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllyPen

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
US
I want to move the whole installation of seagate Info from one server to another. I use SQL 7 for Cinfo DB. I need to move everything: logins, instances, schedule, another words
"whole thing".
The problem that I see right now is the server name will be different, so those entries in DB that use server name have to be changed somehow.

Any advise will be appreciated

Hi,

My advise would be to back up the Info server totaly, then take it down. Start up your new server which has the "EXACT" same configuration as the old box, and do a restore.

Nuffsaid.

there is a utility for changing the name of the server in the APS tab of the info configuration tool.

hth

Icytrue

icytrue@hotmail.com

What Nuffsaid suggested is simply not our case as we want to beef up the server, not to have the same confiuration.

This utility that icytrue mantioned, worked. I checked tables and it did change them. Thanks! The only problem now is that jobs scheduled do not run.
APS, sentinel, Agent running, the files are ther, bot... Will continue troubleshooting.

I rebooted the server and the jobs started to run, but all fail . When I open the properties for Failed job Destination: to disk file is correct \\NEWservername\SI\Output, Message says
PEOpenPrintJob(\\Newservername\Report\Report03.rpt) :
So it keeps old server name.
I looked in the table CI_RUNTIMEIMAGE and CI_PARAMETER references Newserver.

The button line is you have to manually re-create those shares used by Info you had on OLD server.

Allpen,

When I said exact configuration I meant server name, ip address, etc, etc,. You can beef up the hadware to your hearts content, you can even upgrade your OS if you wish. Sorry if this was misleading. Re your last post, I hope you backed up.

All it takes to move to a new server is to copy the contents of the INPUT, OUTPUT, Cache (just to be safe) and Cinfo.mdb to another drive, install Info on the new box,(configured as above) copy back the files and replace the ones Info setup during installation, then reboot.

This process worked for me when we went from 7.0 to 7.5 and changed servers at the same time.

Let us know what happens....

Nuffsaid.

IP and server had to be different, but utility mentioned by icytrue had worked for me renaming all hardcoded entries in C_INFO tables. With SQL server there were additional problems as rebooting after installation and pointing to the new CInfo DB ( on SQL server). Article c2008414 explains all steps except creating shares manually and rebooting after attaching SQL DB after installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back