Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whats quicker - execute query or update a recordset

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidfc

Programmer
Jun 21, 2004
GB
I have an application that does a lot of executes with queries on a connection variable to a sql server, and I want to know whether it would be quicker to open a recordset and update fields in the recordset, rather than via the conn.execute update query...any help would be appreciated.
DavidFC

DavidFC,
I haven't done any benchmarks but I would assume that using simple SQL queries would be quicker as you are dealing with one object only (i.e. the connection object). When you use a recordset, you have add whatever overhead the Recordset object adds to the equation. In any case, you can perform some tests using the Timer function to see how long each method takes to execute, like this:
Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/color] startTime [COLOR=darkblue]As Single[/color]
[COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/color] elapsedTime [COLOR=darkblue]As Single[/color]
[COLOR=green]...[/color]
startTime = Timer;
[COLOR=green]' Use the query or recordset here
...[/color]
elpasedTime = Timer - startTime

MsgBox "Executing the command took " & _
        elapsedTime & " seconds!"
JC

Oh Wow!!! I was unaware of all the smileys available here at tek-tips.
[rockband]

Hi David,

You may want to read the thread thread222-866413 as it appears to be relevant to your situation.

HTH

William
Software Engineer
ICQ No. 56047340

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back