Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's New in VFP 7.0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

efbabala

Programmer
Mar 24, 2001
PH
I just want to be aware of the upcoming release of VFP 7.0. I've heard the beta version have been released. Could someone who had just used this version inform me of what's new in this?

See: thread184-29509 Jon Hawkins

The World Is Headed For Mutiny,
When All We Want Is Unity. - Creed

I have several problems with VFP6.0 from Visual Studio, like "exception error 00005", memory resources that don't release exiting a view report, etc.
This problems SP5 (Service Pack 5) tells that will be fixed with its installation, but i don't haved solution.
Do you know if VFP7.0 repair that problems?

Dario

Dario,
Many report preview problems have nothing to VFP, but rather the video and/or printer drivers in use. Check your manufacturer for updates to these. You may want to also try switching the hardware or varying the resolution and/or color depth.

Rick

Rick
Report problem i have in four very different PC's, and SP3 tells that fix that problem, as it was a known problem.
You have not that problem?
I really think that i'm the only one in the world that have that problem.
What do you sayd that i must to probe?

Dario

Hi my friend
Check thread184-61439.
The good news is VFP7's native support for XML is more that wonderful. Walid Magd
Engwam@Hotmail.com

Hi guys,

It seems that Microsoft makes VFP a real modern language again. And it seems if Microsoft is going further with two products for building business apps VBA/C# and VFP, both competing with each other. VFP will be shipped separated from .NET so that new options will be integrated and shipped sooner then before (hoping that we haven't to wait so long in the future anymore for updates like icons in the menu-bar )!

I've got a few questions:

1) Has the database engine changed in VFP 7? Is it possible to have a table larger than 2 GB? And is the database compatible with the database in VFP6?

2) VFP 6 programs, can they be imported in VFP 7 and run without errors?

3) Is the rapport generator modified with the latest techniques or isn't it (or should you still use crystal reports)?

4) Have a lot of things changed, so that you have to learn a (new) language or are there just a few changes, and you can just begin programming as in 6?

5) Can you install VFP 7 beta just near VFP 6 only in a separate directory (No problems with 6.0 because 6.0 pieces are overwritten)?

6) Are there already companies programming in VFP 7 beta? Aren't you afraid, and dear you take the risk that there is a bug in VFP 7 that will stop you in finishing the program, and that there is a month or more on ours spend for nothing (And an angry customer because the product is delivered too late)?

7) Last question, should you use it already or not?

Thanks for the information, and enjoy VFP!

Charl

1) No, No, Yes as long as you haven't implemented any of the new features. (Although RI and stored procedures may not be "shared" by VFP 6.0/7.0 applications.)

2) For the most part yes - there may need to be minor re-works of code here and there (similar to the VFP 5.0 to 6.0 upgrade).

3) Almost no changes here, so I guess it depends on how good you are with the VFP report generator. (See Cathy Pountney's articles in the December '00, February '01 and March '01 FoxTalk's for proof that there's almost nothing that can't be done if you're just a little creative!)

4) While there are some new functions and extentions to some old ones, some are referring to the langauge changes more like 6.5 rather than 7.0 <g>. There are also a number of useful changes to developer IDE - these may help or hinder you depending on your coding &quot;style&quot;.

5) Yes, but they don't recommend it if you plan on installing the REAL VFP 7.0 on the system. Since the uninstall of the beta is (in some cases) less than satisfactory - especially if you install all the beta .NET stuff, you may want to put it on a separate system (or different bootable partition).

6) Yes, after all that's what the beta process is all about - testing out code both new applications (.NET enabled?) and upgraded &quot;old&quot; systems. But of course since you can't distribute any VS.NET or VFP 7.0 code yet, it really shouldn't bother your customers.

7) As a beta product - Yes. As a production product - No!

My $0.02 worth,
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back