Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

whats my switch/hub IP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucup

Vendor
May 28, 2003
GB
I have a 3com superstackII 1100 24 port switch/hub.
it seems to work fine but I would like to be able to make a few changes to its settings. Problem I have is that I dont know the IP of it. I understand you can access it via web manager (HTTP) --just put in the IP--.

I know the mac address but I would like to know how I access its web features to set up other settings.

any ideas

Thanks in advance

usually they are like (some common ones are 192.168.2.1, 192.168.0.1,192.168.1.1)
try those.

if that dosnt work id check your documentation on that one the ip address should be in there.

Since you know the MAC address, then why don't you rarp it? That should give you the IP.

//Daniel

sorry to be real stupid but how do I RARP the MAC address to resolve the IP.
its been a while since I used RARP, ARP etc.

thanks

Since you haven't told us what OS you are using, it's hard to say.

//Daniel

Oops,
im using XP pro, I ran ARP -A but only get the IP and Mac for the network card in my PC, though im connected to the internet through the switch in question through to another PC which is sharing its internet connection with me.

I can ping them but and I know the Mac address of the switch and all network cards.

what would you sujest, I can just connect the switch to my PC and nothing else but would that give me any joy.

thanks for giving me your time to help.

Well, this should've been my first question. Have you setup IP on the switch?

//Daniel

err, well thats the problem, you see, I got a few of these at a computer fair. Ran them up and they work fine, but....as I looked on the 3coms sight they mention about adjusting the settings in the switch. I have the Mac address on the side of the switch and it works ok......

I have had other swithes b4 that you put in the IP address of the switch and access its setting as this has the same features I tried to put in the default IP but I guess its last owners had given it another IP as it was used in a stack.

3com have no info on how I might gain access to it.

so there you go, now you know my situation regarding the switch..

any ideas for me as I am burning out fast...

hmmm, have a null modem cable but im not sure how you would communicate with it, I guess Telnet perhaps...but what would I use to talk to it. I cant find the software anywhere that would help me do that nor do I know how to use Telnet to tell it what to do.

please advise

thanks

Ok, I tried hyperterminal but I couldnt get anything to happen. its all connected up ok but I dont know how to get it talking to each other.

By the way, I have no software for the switch as I got it secondhand. 3coms site offers software for monitoring the network (Not for terminal connecting)
I have read a fair bit of the manuals which hard is for me. All I want to do is HTTP to it and check out the settings, I would like to know its IP (if it has one)I know the Mac address, looked at ARP(no joy) couldnt find a way to use rarp as I have just 2 PC`s joined up to it. obviously it has a firewall(maybe) so its prooving difficult. Is there a was to reset it, or maybe some one has one of these and could tell me how I would HTTP to it ( , , etc ????

HEEEELLLLLP.......im sinking here, forgive my stupidity but im learning very slowly...

What happened (exactly) when you tried to use Hyperterminal? Did you use the settings I mentioned above (8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit)? Did it show as connected?

Yes, it did say it was connected thanks...I tried type junk in to get a response......this got me nowhere.

any idea`s please

help the dummy out (me)

With it connected in Hyperterminal, try rebooting the switch and see if you get any boot info from the switch.

Yes, tried resetting com ports and data speed.
also tried turning on and of the switch...got nothing from the hub at all.

though it works good enough but as I mentioned earlier I would like to be able to adjust a few settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back