Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what's IP add 127.0.0.1 doing on my desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

gensan

MIS
Feb 21, 2001
SG
When I was looking at the log messages from our ISA server, I noticed an IP Address of 127.0.0.1 which is not part our our network. When I traced it, it turned out to be my workstation (I tried to explore the machine using the IP add, and my shares was displayed).

Checking on my IP Add, it shows the correct IP add for our range. So where did the 127.0.0.1 came from?

I guess I need to remove it since it logged an unauthenticated access to our ISA.

Thanks

It is your localhost address (it is everyone's localhost address) and you should leave it be.

Do Start, Run, cmd

route print

To see your routing table and the critical role that localhost plays.

Yes, it is typically called the "loopback address".

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

If you wish to keep a printable file of the results, use the command route print>c:\route.txt or whatever location and file name you wish.

Ok. If it's safe, I won't worry about it.

Thanks for the info.

Al coputers with a NIC will have this address it's a loopback, useful if you have a network problem in that you can ping 127.0.0.1, if no reply then the problem is with the local machine.

127.0.0.1 is more than a convenience for diagnostic testing, it is part and parcel of your routing table having an entry of last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back