Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's going on here? XP startup question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohjekim

Technical User
Apr 8, 2001
US
For the last two days every time I boot up my computer I get a lot of programs flagged as newly installed.

Some of the programs are ones I used last time and some of them aren’t. Most of the time it is the same ones but it can show that 3 are new or 10.

This doesn't seem to bother anything but any thing that doesn't work right makes me nervous.

Mike

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If it really worries you.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

If it bothers you, you can disable that feature:

[ol]
[li]Right-click the Task Bar
[li]Click Properties
[li]Click the Start Menu tab
[li]Click Customize
[li]Click the Advanced tab
[li]Uncheck "Highlight newley installed programs"
[/ol]

I tried all the options mentioned except reinstalling Windows.

I have never been able to get “System Restore” to work.
I always get a message that says your system can not be restored to this configuration or something like that. I have made new restore points but it will never restore to them.

It was like that right from the first week I got the computer, a Dell 8200 running XP Home.

Ran Chkdisk, this always runs through process then hangs at the finished checking this disk screen. I always have to go back and tell it to use the last good configuration to get it to reboot, been like that from the start too.

Anyway since all my software runs I'll do as the second poster said and disable it.
Some day when I get a problem serious enough I’ll reinstall Windows and see if I can get it to work the way it should.

Thanks

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back