Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What would the steps be in replacing my original DC with a new server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mskennicutt

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2002
US
3 years ago we started our first Windows 2000 Domain with a single DC. Now we have an Exchange 2003 server and a Windows 2000 Terminal Services server (which is also a second DC).

My boss wants me to completely upgrade the original DC with new hardware (not an upgrade but a complete replacement). I'm a little fuzzy on exactly what I need to do here... I was thinking that I could build the new server and add it to the Domain as just another DC but then transfer the roles of the original DC to the new server. The trouble is that I don't know exactly how to do this or what all the server roles are that would need to be transfered other than the ones I specifically established (i.e. DHCP, DNS, etc.) Aren't there a few Server roles that automatically get set up on the first Domain controller in a forest?

If the original DC were to be taken offline, would the remaining DCs automatically pick up the unfilled server roles?

Any pointers here would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Yes, there are some fsmo roles that have to be in place.

If you really don't feel comfortable doing this, then just take it a few steps at a time.

First I would build or buy the new server. Install the os and make it a member server. Then promote to a dc. Once you get that far ask for some more help. In order for us to tell you every step to take we would need more info about your current set up. No reason to go into all of that now. Once we get that far, we can start looking at fsmo roles to transfer and other things.

That's great! Thanks for the offer. It will be another week before I get the new hardware, but I will repost when I get that far.

Much thanks,
Mike

Well I have the new hardware, but I have to wait until next week to start the process of configuring the server and loading Win2k Server... But I wanted to ask this one question ahead of time.

The replacement DC will need to have the same netbios name as the existing one... yet I will also need both servers online at the same time in order to transfer several datafiles used by a Network application. Can I name it with a temporary name and after everything is done and I take the existing DC offline then rename it with the old DC's computer name? Am I right in thinking that it will be basically just using the same computer account on the new computer or is it different with a domain controller?

Hi mskennicutt
I was wondering how you got on with the upgrading of the server. I am looking to be doing the same thing. The new server will have the same netbios name as the old one.. what was your order of procedures for doing this?
Many thanks
:)

Transferring the fsmo roles is a piece of cake, simple commands that can be executed from dos prompt and checked immediately. I think you will have a problem with your naming convention thou. Once you name a win2k dc that is pretty much it unless you are willing to go through hell and high water to change it. Why not change the name?

Windows 2000 provides plug and play. If you haven't loaded the new machine yet, you might want to try this:

Add a loopback network card (add a nic, the make is microsoft, the type is loopback) to your existing server. Make a full backup and copy it to the new box. take the new box offline and boot it into safe mode. delete every driver from the new box except the loopback addapter and reboot. If 2000 will pick up the new hardware ok, you should be able to put the new box online and inplace of the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back