Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What would the best way be to upgrade Windows 98 to windows 2000? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drussum

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
US
I have to upgrade several computers that are currently running windows 98 to windows 2000 pro. They dont want to loose their data and have some programs that are dos based. I have to be very careful not to loose any data so a long fix would be acceptable.
Thanks.

First thing to do would be to make sure the DOS based programs run in Win2k. Either check with the company that made the program, or set up a test lab. Assuming all goes well in that area, you should be able to run an upgrade from the CD painlessly.
If you are concerned that there will be compatibility issues, I would suggest backing up the data and using a test lab or testing on one machine first.
Best of luck. MCSE, A+

I have the Windows 2000 Profesional CD that is the full version not the upgrade edition. Will it give me an option to upgrade or replace the current 98 OS?

If memory servers correctly, W2K Full version will give the upgrade option unless it's an OEM version. Then it should prompt you for an operating system CD to verify you are eligible to upgrade...
E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back