Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what would one expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakbuddy

Technical User
Mar 2, 2005
US
as a starting salary for a CCNA.

some networking experience, telecom background, living in the SE part of Texas?

for those of you who would know.

thanks,
-bb.

Breakbuddy - You really can't set a salary on your cert and a little experience alone. It depends on the job you want and get. CCNA's that make really good money usually have jobs working with routers a lot of the time, maybe thats all they do. You might not be able to get at job doing that all the time because of lack of experience. You might however get a job doing more of general network support, Windows clients and servers, stuff like that. If that is the case, that job won't pay quiete as good as a router installer/technician.

Are you just wanting an idea on what you should work for? If so how many years have you worked in IT and with what?

Network Admin
A+, Network+, MCSA 2000, MCSE 2000

i've worked in the telecom industry since 1998, most of it Nortel voice side and had exp. with configuring and setting up routers and switches to send off to customers. now i am working with Nortel Mer 1 pbx's and am responsible for the uptake of switches that the college uses to provide their students internet access to dorms/apartments.

i am wanting to know, should i complete the CCNA cert, what i can leverage as a possible raise/promotion. the network manager here (happens to be my manager) is a Cisco guy who won't even touch Nortel. Data Cisco-Nortel voice, they are looking to provide a Cisco voip solution for a satellite campus and i know who will be supporting that.. def. not me! bc i am the Nortel guy.

thanks,
-bb.

I am always favorable of anyone who wants to take cert tests. You never know when they could come in handy. I am currently working on my CCNA, probably go to CCNP or CCSP.

Here is what I am hearing from you. You are considering getting the CCNA cert for a promotion or raise at your current position. You work with switches, are they Cisco? If you get this cert do you think you boss will give you a raise or promotion, will you get to work with anything new? Are you thinking that if you get this cert maybe you could help with the voip? Here's the deal, if you think you could get to do more stuff with routers or the voip by obtaining the cert, or you would leave and go somewhere where you could do that then go for it. If your boss doesn't have any extra duties or more advanced work to give you, obtainig the cert might not do any good there. It could always help somewhere else though. As for how much it is worth it is hard to say. It really depends on if you get a new position there, or just a bump to your curreny salary.

Network Admin
A+, Network+, MCSA 2000, MCSE 2000

achieving ur CCNA is always good. Maybe not directly then it will in the future. I would advise you to speak to ur manager ask him what he wants you to and what would be good for you. If he wants you to do CCNA then ask him whats in for you. Why not getting into supporting the voip solution? Voip is interesting and a growing market.

CCNA, CCNP..partly ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back