Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What would cause a computer to reboot incessantly after win2k loadup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpresley

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2002
US
What would cause a computer to reboot over and over just after loading windows 2k?
I've replaced the cmos batt.
I've fdisk reinstalled
and it's still doing it.
Single beep on start up.. looks to start normally but as soon as the windows load bar gets to the end, it restarts itself.

Loading in safe mode seems to work, but eh.. dont know how to check to see what the eff'ing problem is.

Grrrr.
I've read all the other threads i could find related to this but none seem to apply or help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Presley
Network & Systems Administrator
Premier, Air Academy & Thomas Jefferson High Schools
dpresley@qwest.net

MCP

Bad memory module, if more than one installed check with one at a time.
Be sure to set less aggressive defaults in the bios.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I had similar problem at work recently, one of workstations would start, load windows, work for minute or two, and suddenly turn off/reboot.

In my case, it was power supply, we replaced it and everything is fine now.

Yup....memory module....try a pc100 sdram...I had the same problem with a new mobo setup...And as always...I read the instructions only after "killing" the bios chip. replaced chip read the setup instructions and that baby is still flyin around the room.. Thanks for letting me vent

This is sometimes a symptom of msblaster.exe worm.
Check your registry
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run..runservices and also delete temp intenet files and windows\temp directory at dos boot level if you can.
ps also check HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run..runservices
hth KenF

Oay... I'm gonna swap out the ram and the power supply and let ya know how it works out.
Thanks for the input and insight.

I dont think it could be blaster could it? I reformated the drive. ???

Dave Presley
dpresley@qwest.net

MCP

Okay... still have the problem. I think it may be the modem driver. Theres an onboard modem and a second on a pci card... I think i may have disbled the wrong one.. DOH!

Dave Presley
dpresley@qwest.net

MCP

Hi presley,

I had that problem in one of my computers. Try checking the fan cooler of the CPU, it may be clogged or not working properly,

hope this helps,

Rick

PS check also whether the heat dissipator is properly attached to the cpu

Go into the BIOS set up. If you have a setting to reboot on all errors, change it to stop on all errors. Reboot. This time you SHOULD get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) with at least one message.

More than likely when you installed Win2k, a file has become corrupted. Possible the file ntldr. It should show up in the BSOD message. You can try replacing each file in the list to see if this fixes your reboot problem (I've had the same problem before).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back