Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what would cause a computer to not beep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmbuBagu

Technical User
Mar 13, 2003
US
ok here's the scenerio.

computer was working fine last sunday morning. suddenly the monitor does dark, and the HD light stays on.
i turn the computer off and back on again, no video, no start-up beeps.
i pull all the cards out and put them back in, power on, no video, no beeps.
remove the ram and put in a fresh stick, power on, no video, no beeps.

i take it into the shop to get looked out. they suspect the motherboard and cpu have gone bad. i order a new board and cpu for them to install.

they install the new cpu. no video,no beeps.
they install the new motherboard, old cpu. no video, no beeps.
they install the new motherboard, new cpu. no video, no beeps.

did my computer just enter the twilight zone?

HAve you checked the power supplies and fuses ?

yes...remember, the hd gets power to it, and i think they even swapped out the PS to see it that was an issue...no luck.

I also would say power. One signal allows the clock to work. Without a clock , no processing. All levels could be good, hard drive recal, the whold shebang, but still no clocking.
So the major question, did they look at the address and data lines to see if there was any action? Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

New motherboard,cpu,video card installed

Disconnected everything except the video, CPU and memory.

powers up, power supply fan spins, cpu fan spins, video card fan spins.....no video, no beeps

mmmmmmmmmmm have you got the internal speaker connected ?

i have a unit that does the same way.i fixed this one with a new ribbon cable regards stan in florida

You pulled all cards according to your first posting, incl. the video card?
If not, do so. The Bios should now by all means return an error beep(s). If it doesn't, it may be shortened out due to case contact or simply be defective. That sounds unlikely, but it happens, see thread602-482545.

You're not alone,

TomCologne

PSU.

Just because the HD is spinning doesn't mean the ATX power block is correctly working.

Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back