Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What works in an online classroom? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeddy

Programmer
Jul 8, 1999
US
Since I see some discussion going on, thought I'd add a line line of questioning.

If you've participated in online learning, I'd love to hear what kinds of technology seem to work best - threaded discussions (asynchronous), live discussions (synchronous), video conferencing, streaming media, facilitated (as opposed to non-facilitated).

What type of learning environment works for you when you've had an online learning experience? Teacher-student, facilitated, totally independent (no contact with a "leader"). Are there other models?

Skeddy

Currently my MBA courses are delivered online through lotus notes. There is an asynchronous discussion that takes place in a number of databases for each course. In each course there may be a database for

Coaches Corner
where students and Professors communicate to clarify course requirments or content of the course material

Student Corner
Where students can meet informally to chat about anything

Group Project or Case Analysis

If you are placed in a group for a group project - this database is accessible only by the group and the professor. It is used to brainstorm ideas and solutions and prepare the final group submission.

Weekly discussion

Each week the instructor asks a series of questions that students in a given group respond to based on course content - in many cases - how it relates to their own companies. Students respond to the questions - then ask questions of each other based on these responses.

Lotus Notes also provides email - where students may have more "private(?)" conversations.

other databasesthat delivering course content and readings etc. are also available.

I've taken online courses based on a similar type of technology and structure regarding discussion groups. I'm not familiar with what was used to create the various groups, etc.

In our own organization, we develop courses where the course materials are web pages containing the actual materials - somewhat like online books. In these course pages we use a variety of video clips, and interactive activities to present the course material. Additionally we have discussion areas. We are transitioning the discussion areas to a database structure.

At first we did not have course facilitators, however, found that there wasn't alot of interaction or discussion going on then. Having someone now to encourage people onto an online learning experience seems to be helping immensely.

The courses we are developing are designed to be used by both the physical and virtual classroom. Instructors for both have access to the common core knowledge contained in the Web course, which means more consistent delivery of base knowledge.

We found from the beginning that we needed to have instructors assigned to the courses to ensure that students made progress and also had the opportunity to ask questions of someone who was able to provide the answer from the institute's side. (something that needs to be done especially if you are offering the courses for credit.) As RugbyProp can confirm, Athabasca University uses tutors that provide the required contact and feedback.

The application we use to deliver our courses on-line provides us with the ability to use discussion forums, chat rooms, and email to maintain dialogue with the students. Plus, we can augment the core material with graphics, links, audio and video clips making the on-line course just as rich (if not more so) than the in-class version. We are even using optional drop-in class time to allow students to meet face to face with the instructor. This service is not always well used, but for some, it has been quite helpful.

I don't know if I've answered your question as to what works with on-line courses, but from my experience, regardless of the type of course being offered (and we offer both softskill and technical courses), you need to use all the available resources in an attempt to reach all 4 learning styles that people have. It's not easy and it's not always possible. But, some people just can't learn from an on-line course and we have to accept that. All we can do is ensure our best effort is put forth to make the content as rich and enticing as possible for those students who want or need to take courses on-line.

Thanks rstumbur. Our courses sound very similar. It's your last section that I find encouraging - the knowledge that we've created the best possible online experience (addressing as much as possible everyone's learning styles) and knowing that there will always be some for whom it doesn't work. We've actually had a very successful summer session of courses - lots of participation by course participants. And for some of our students (who are teachers themselves) -- that is the greatest accomplishment!
Thanks for the encouragement!

Great summary rstumbur - do you use Blackboard or Webct to develop your online course material?

We are using WebCT to deliver the courses. We are also using an Internal application that helps organize the material into learning outcomes to ensure that both staff and students know exactly what it is that is in the course.

We're still in the early stages of ironing this whole thing out, but so far, despite a few egos being bruised, it is going not badly at all.

RStumbur

Great to hear things are working out - as an fyi - Webct's main competitor blackboard can be viewed at and has a much more user-friendly interface. By the end of September they will have a nationally hosted program so you do not have to have a campus wide licence to build courses - it is hosted on their system. No, I am not a salesman for blackboard but I have viewed both and thought you would be interested.
Cheers [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back