Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Wireless Card would you suggest? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwicker

Technical User
May 4, 2003
US
We have started to go wireless at some locations, using 802.11b networks. Sniffer lists several wireless NIC cards in the Sniffer Wireless Installation and Operations Guide for Release 4.7.5. They are: CISCO Aironet 340/350; Spectrum 24 Model 4121; Enterasys Roamabout; and Proxim Harmony. Has anyone had god/bad or otherwise experinces with these cards; or perhaps a suggestion as to some other cards will work just as well?

go with symbol spectrum, that card can be used with sniffer PDA also, else go with cisco

other cards are good also. check your budget

The advantage of the Cisco cards is that the are capable of reporting more errors because of there greater sensitivity. This is mentioned in the release notes of 4.7.5 SP2.
regards,
robert

Robert A.H. Wullems
Sniffer University Instructor
SCM/CNX/MSCA

I'm using the Symbol LA41x card and it seems to work well.

'Making things work better; bit by bit.'

Hi,
If you haven'r already bought Sniffer Wireless, it's well worth taking a look at "AirMagnet" ( They make a far more comprehensively featured set of wireless analysers, which are far more cost effective. Not only do they have the same monitoring functions, but have far more complete tools for Site/surveying, and Security Detection policy, IDS and DOS detection. They are the only people that analyse and validate 802.1x and LEAP/TKIP/MIC enabled WLAN support.
There are three product types: AirMagnet Handheld, AirMagent Laptop and AirMagnet Distributed (the only decent distributed wireless analyser I've come across).
Alf

You can see a demo I'm putting together on AirMagnet Distributed here:

It's still evolving. Adding Users does not have the soundover in place but the rest do.

Let me know what you think about it.

BTW- We also have a RealAudio streaming demo of the PDA AirMagnet and one of the NAI PDA version. The differences are obvious.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Am sticking with the Sniffer as I have purchased it already, so I can't go back and get another program. And have already invested time and money by taking several of their courses. Would like some ordering info on the Symbol LA41x and Cisco cards. Can't seen to find those listed at my 'usual' vendors.

I got lucky and found 2 Symbol cards on ebay for $50 a piece.

'Making things work better; bit by bit.'

Symbol is card is excellent combination with Sniffer PDA.
It showed packets more accurately on low signal strength.

Plus with Sniffer PDA you can see if the packet is showing right channel or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back