Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What WIC cards to get for routers for lab 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stubnski

MIS
Nov 17, 2005
US
Hi all,

I have bought a 3640 and a 2621 routers for my home lab. They do not have any wic cards in them and I wanted to know what cards I should get for them to setup a CCNP lab. They have the latest IOS.

Thanks for any suggestions

Stubnski

For normal t1 connections you can use csu/dsu wics.

[americanflag] Go Army!
Tek-TIP Member 19,650

stubnski,

You can get WIC-1T's or WIC-2T's, you can find back-to-back DTE/DCE cables in 1 ft, 3ft or even 10ft on Ebay or
You can also get a Network Module NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S for your Frame Relay router.

Here is a great post by Wendell Odom, CCIE and Cisco author on setting up a CCNP lab at Networkworld -
Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Gene's recommendation will get you going. You'll probably want a couple of other options.

A 3640 needs a network module (NM) with open WIC slots. That's where the flexibility makes a 3640 a great lab router. My suggestion is to get your hands on a NM-1FE1R2W or two. That NM will provide 2 open WIC slots, 1 fast ethernet 10/100 and 1 token ring.

[the other] Bill

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions I really appreciate it.

Stubnski

BTW, the 1FE1R2W is rather inexpensive compared to some of the other options. (Thanks for the star!!)

[the other] Bill

Hi, brand new user here!

I have a bunch of 3640's and 3620's. You can use the Wic 1t on the 2620. There are 2 slots for those.

For the 3640 you have quite a few options If you currently have a NM module (the large guys with the handles) those can take 2 Wic 1t's each.

Some above recommended the NM module with the token ring, that's fine but if you get the NM module with 2 fast Ethernet ports, that will work best for the long run if you are going for the CCNP or on to the CCIE. The reason I say that is if you want to match the CCIE topology, you will want the upgraded modules.

If you are just doing the CCNA and stopping there (why?) then the single ethernet (Keep in mind it's a 10mbps module) will be fine as it houses 2 wic 1t's.

Good luck in the pursuit!

RE: 3640 Network Modules!!

Check the compatibility of various NMs with the desired WICs. Some of the newer WICs are NOT supported by some of the NMs. The NM-1E2W or NM-2E2W (and similar vintage NMs) support a limited number of WICs and should be avoided (IMVHO). IIRC, neither will support a WIC-1ADSL or some other cards WICs of similar / newer production.

When priced on eBay, the 1FE1R2W looks like the best bet for both WIC expansion and getting a fast ethernet (10/100) port.

[the other] Bill

To all,

Bill said -
"Check the compatibility of various NMs with the desired WICs.

USE GOOGLE and read about what you are going to drop anywhere from $50 to $200 on !!!!!!!!!

When you Google these things - the Cisco links tend to come up first - READ THEM and understand what it is you are getting and that it will work with the router and/or WICs and/or Network Modules you are looking at!!!!

Hope this helps!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I have an 2511 that has this message and then the console doesn't respond:OS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-C-L), Version 12.3(18), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 16-Mar-06 00:19 by dchih
*Mar 1 00:01:10.963: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host BURNS-2511-16 is und
ergoing a cold start

Any suggestions???????????????

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back