Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHAT VIRUS IS THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATBCSLTD

Technical User
Feb 9, 2002
GB
HI

I have a number of machine that seem to be infected with some kind of virus or worm. I am unable to open any antivirus programe on the machines, when you try they open and close again. Also when you open regedit this opens and then closes. It is also stopping me from doing any online scans or windows updates. has anybody seen this before??

Thanks

There are a number of virii that do this. Check the FAQ for online scanners.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
[/sup]

Try running your scans in Safe Mode.

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

As I say, it is stopping me from doing any online scans, due to active X controls. Also running scans in safe mode produce not finds..

Thanks

Urgh...
Have you tried pulling down a copy of Stinger (small enough to fit on a floppy) and running it?

If I had to guess, though, I'd say you've got the W32\Spybot worm...it likes to shut down regedit, task manager, etc. There's a good fix walkthrough here:

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

I had this happen recently on a client's machine. It would not run most executable files, like regedit, msconfig, etc. Loaded Trend Micro Sysclean from a CD and it would not execute it. I was able to update and use the client's existing McAfee scanner, which identified almost 300 infected files and recommended deletion - it would not repair or quarantine the files. I deleted the infected files and tried a repair install of the o/s as well as sfc. Neither one reinstalled the executable files. Wound up backing up the data and formating/reinstalling everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back