Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What version of Raid Manager for Solaris 2.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
I have installed Raid Manager 6.22.1 on a box running Solaris 2.6. After the restart, the system didn't boot. Said something to the effect of c0t0d0s6 already mounted something something can't find something either there are too many mount points or the file system is corrupt. reinstall system. After I cleaned myself up, I booted single user mode and found all the boot disk file systems to be intact. Commented out raid manager startup and now the system booted normally. I already purchased additional disks overnight JIC (just in case) b/c I initially felt the boot disk crashed. So now would anyone have any idea at all why the system wouldn't boot with this Raid Manager installed? Do I need an older version? It is pretty much a vanila Solaris 6 installation with 5 disks in the guts of it. I simply added an A1000 array for added redundancy but cannot get it to work now. Hints? Clues? Do I need an older Raid Manager? I will see if I have one. Thanks!!!
Steve

Raid Manager 6.22.1 is for Solaris8 When we were running Solaris7 we used Raid Manager 6.22

( Just found the reference: RM 6.22 suites Solaris 2.6 and 7 )
According to release notes.

I found the same thing.... "according to the release notes" so anyway, I removed all the 6.22.1 packages and installed 6.11 I think and all is fine... I am not messing with it now that it is working again...... I must be missing something else but I am not worried about it Thanks!!!
Steve

[rant]A1000's? Don't talk to me about A1000's. Bane of my life at the moment they are.[/rant].

Steven. Thanks for your concern! My problems largely revolve around the fact that my superiors wisely decided to purchase 3 'pre-owned' A1000's, all of which were at differing firmware levels and which wouldn't therefore play nicely together or with the V480 they are attached to. This wasn't helped by the fact that the units aren't housed in a rack (another example of cost-cutting for the sake of a few GBP) and that they're constantly being knocked slightly by operators as a result! They don't like that much as you can imagine.

Things are coming together now, but at first it just seemed a nightmare!

I hear that. We bought a D1000 to save $$ too and it was a pain. Too much work or should I say a larger learning curve to figure out disk suite as opposed to raid manager. What a breeze that is compared to DS. So I was able to switch them..... Good luck over there. If you have any probes, don't hesitate to ask. I am getting pretty good at these..... unfortunately....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back