Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What version/distro should I use

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireFighter78

Technical User
Feb 6, 2009
US
My company is allowing me some research time with Asterix. Initially I will have a hacked Vonage router and 2 Nortel IP phones. What distro would be recommended for getting my "feet wet" so to speak.

Some info about us to give an idea what direction we are going.

We are a small private college with 75 office phones, 100 analog phones, a dozen buildings, 85 acres, network fiber to the critical buildings. The future might include our satellite campus 2 office phones and a full time telecommuter and expanding to 2 sister organizations at about 40 office phones and 10 analog (although some are alarm lines and might not be transitioned)

Thanks,
Barry

Everyone will have a different opinion on this.

I prefer pbx in a flash, but use several different ones for various projects.

I've tried Asterisk+GUI, Asterisk+FreePBX, and Elastix. Out of many though, personally I would recommend Trixbox. I downloaded virtual box and created a virtual OS for each of these. There all great and will get the job done. But get them installed and see what you prefer!

I like the Asterisk + FreePBX combination. This is available in Elastix, Trixbox, and others. The Trixbox forum has a huge amount of information and users respond when you ask questions. I believe this is a good place to start.

I personally usually let others do the bleeding and use one release back. This allows any kinks to be worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back