Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What up a good image sharpening/focus program

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdiggy

Technical User
Mar 13, 2005
US
Hello.. Forum.. KD Here..

What program would u guys recommend to use on digial images takes with a digital camera..

To: Inhance, Sharpen, and Add Focus...

To: elimate Blur... and noise...

thanks in advance,

KD

This is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.

Adobe Photoshop is the "standard" program but its expensive.

Adobe Photoshop Elements is like a stripped down version that will do what most prople want in digital photograph enhancement.

JASC Paint Shop Pro is another one that people swear by

Both of these are reasonably priced and relatively easy to get to grips with.

GIMP (freeware I think) is a bit tricky to get the hang of but is very powerful. Originally for Linux, but also available for Windows.

Just as a point, no program can give you back missing focus. All the packages can 'sharpen' an image which will enhance the edges to look more focussed. This is commonly needed with digital images.

Good luck with whichever you choose. Sometimes the post-production is as much fun as taking the pictures in the first place.

One other suggestion would be to look for a photographic forum/website where you can find a lot of expertise both with cameras and digital enhancement.

HTH
Norman

I'd go with Photoshop Elements. Unless you output for professional print it will do the job and let you learn the Photoshop interface so, if you later decide to go with the whole program, you don't have to relearn a lot of stuff.

It should be noted that you can only do with what resolution you have and what values you have. So if an image is out of focus, PS will not performa a miricle and sharpen your out of focus image.

If you have access to Photoshop you can try my post in thread thread229-696185.

Sharpening however is a combination of adding pixels, and altering contrast etc., and a lot of guesswork.

You can only sharpen to a degree but with some work you can do a decent job on slightly blurred pictures.

If you do find a killer application please let us know.

Also to see two very nice movies on sharpening with Photoshop go to Click Tips & Techniques scroll down to Sharpening (near the bottom) and download Painting with sharpen and Advanced sharpening movies.

You will need to download Apple Quick Time player to view.

Sharpening however is a combination of adding pixels, and altering contrast etc., and a lot of guesswork.

You are all liers....

Last night on NCIS they grabed a reflection from someones glasses and sharpened the image to look like the cover shot of a magazine.

P-)

Marcus

I dont care what they did on NCIS, in this months issue of Pop Photography and Digital Imaging they say this and I quote:
The uninformed user risks spoling an image by sharpening either way too much or not enough, or by confusing it with a tool that fixes focus. ... Essentially, Unsharp Mask creates the ilusion of sharpness. It determines where there are edges in a picture, then increases the contrast around them so they appear sharper. ... If you screwwed up your focus jsut a smidgen when you took your shot, this tool might help you fix it enough to trick the untrained eye. But it's never going to fix the fact that you shot 50 pictures on manual when you thought you had your camera set on autofocus."
(Debbie Grossman, P. 38, April 2005, Pop Photo)

I found it fascinating, when working on a photo of my brother, to find that the annoying reflection in his glasses was my daughter and myself. I could recognize us with Photoshop. I don't know what the spooks have, but I'll bet it's not PS.

Just get Photoshop CSI.

Zoom and enhance is it's main feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back