Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Universe is the report based on??

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzreid

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
GB
I am supporting a BO environment with multiple universes and reports. I have a report that is giving me a TNSname error message when I try to refresh it.
I need to find out what universe the report is based on to check that I have a valid connection to it etc.

My problem is that I can't reach the definition tab on the data manager window to find out what the universe is because of the error message. Is there any way of telling what universe the report is based on without using the data manager?

Thanks in advance
Suz

Hi,

You need to configure the connection. Go to supervisor and in tools -> connection add the connection to your database and use that connection. You will get that report once you create the valid connection

Deepak

Hi

Yes, but I need to know what Universe the report is based on to let me configure the connection properly.

Suz

When you refresh the report you will be getting the message as &quot;A connection required to refresh this document is unavailable&quot; after this you will get another error message as &quot;The following dataprovider has not been refreshed: Query 1 with <your_universe_name>&quot;

There you will get the universe name.

Not sure if you mean a specific report, or all the reportd that happen to be in a document. Can you get to VBA after you've opened the report? From there, you can see what all the dataproviders are in the document, and what database, Personal datafile or universe each dataprovider uses. If you can get to VBA, but aren't sure how to code for this, let us know.

Good luck!

To solve your problem for the time being use bellow option

Insert an cell into the report (best place report header) and enter the following formula

= UniverseName(DataProvider(<object>))

where <object> is any object from your dataprovider.

this will give you the Universe Name used by the report.

Now to long term solution. The issues is with the Tnsname.ora file not being updated in the client PC.
Normally we maintain a standard .ora file which contains all the tns entry for any connection. We have security setting that makes sure new connections are reserved with supervisor only. So he is also responsible for updating the tns file and notifying the users about the ability of new tns file and the users copies it into their PC.
Another way would be to put tns file on the server and make one time setting in the all client registery Oracle Node with following entry
TNS_ADMIN pointing to the server folder containing the tns file. this makes sure that such error of tns never happens and deploying any new universe is smooth.

The dataprovider is not always exactly the universe-name, so you might benifit from a direct query on the repository like:

Select A.M_DOC_N_ID AS DOCUMENT,A.M_DOC_C_NAME AS NAME, B.M_DOCATV_C_DPNAME AS QUERY,B.M_SRC_C_NAME AS UNIVERSE
from TARGET.OBJ_M_DOCUMENTS A, TARGET.OBJ_M_DOCATVAR B
WHERE A.M_DOC_N_ID = B.M_DOC_N_ID

and you will get all the information as meta-data ..... T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back