Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What to learn 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rostulya

Technical User
Jan 7, 2004
US
Hi.
I'm one of those guys who's dreaming about programmer's job.
I've been told that C# is 'hot' right now.
I do understand that this is the worst (probably) time to be looking for a career in programming. But it's my only otpion at the moment.
I have some programming background, and have reasons to think that i can learn it by myself.
What are your thoughts about it? And what exaclty should i learn? In combination with what database/language? What should i be familiar with as my 'former' language, from which i 'moved' to C#?
Thank you. All answers are greatly appritiated.

If you've made it this far (C# forum) I would say go for learning C#, ASP.NET, SQL Server (in that order). Maybe shoot for getting MCAD for .NET as a goal by using the self-study guides to learn from. Why not get some credentials out of it?.

IMHO, not only is this stuff 'hot' right now, but it's going to get even hotter soon and we will see an explosion in the demand for it. :)

HTH

David
[pipe]

You might also find it easy to get started with ADO.NET and MS Access as the Data technology/Database combination. It's better for desktop applications than web pages, but it's certainly something to think about. Also, if you're leaning toward Visual Studio, it wouldn't be too difficult to go ahead and pick up VB.NET while you're at it.

Ben

There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

C# looks good but I am very anoyed with that 20 extra megs that any program writen in managed code need in order to work. Many people have Dial-up connections and thus distributing a home made application amde with C# to people that do not have yet a JIT compiler is rather complicated

what is managed code? i always notice that running c# application takes alot of my processing time not to mention ram. Is there anyway to reduce this ?

It is not that easy to explain managed code in a post . in esence when you compile your application you will not recieve an executable but in stead a file that has to be further interpreted before run time ( or ..at run time ) . Anyway look in any C# book in the first chapter , they all start with this topic ...

lailif,
Think of Java... you know how you have to have the Java interpreter/compiler installed on the computer in order to open java programs/applets/etc.?

Managed code is stored in an intermediate language, which is compiled at runtime. This way, .NET can eventually be platform-independent (as soon as other platforms get the .NET framework built). Unfortunately, there's really not much you can do to reduce this overhead.

Ben

There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

The code that is complied and executed under the .net framework is a managed code. An unmanaged code is the one which doesnt use the .net framework for example com components built in VB6.

Ronak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back