Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What to download 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbestos2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2011
GB
Hi

I would like to download MySQL. The intention is

1. Import Access database and add in new tables, then use Access as a front end (quick solution)
2. I also will be looking at developing the databse os it can be used through .ASP net or PHP

So my question(s) are what do I need to download from MySql (versions of ODBC et...) site to make number happen and what if any do I need to download to develop number 2. Any links would be useful.

Thanks

You'll want the Community Server for most things.

The Connector ODBC to have Access connect to the DB.

For number 2 you'l be looking to have a webserver to run the ASP or PHP code.

If the Webserver resides in the same machine as the mysql server then the connection is straight forward through localhost. If the Webserver resides in a separate machine, you'll need to grant the appropriate access to the ports, and have the mysql users be allowed to connect from the webserver in the mysql db permissions.

You'll want to download the Mysql Workbench (Now replacing MySQL Administrator and Query Browser), so you can manage, and control access and credentials to tables, and databases for users easily.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Hi

I have downloaded the but I am getting as far as the security settings and it then gives me a message

Error nr 1364
Field 'authentication_string' doesn't have a default value

I dont have a firewall so cannot open port 3306 (dont know any other way to either).

Any ideas how I get round this, the Retry button gives the same message and the Skip button leaves me in limbo land, I cant go any further.

Any ideas how I can get passed this and get the software loaded.

Thanks

I unticked the security and it said it loaded ok. However the only software in my start/all programs/Mysql/mysqlserver5.5/ is the Mysql command line prompt.

Shouldn't I have some other Mysql software where I can use the database development etc.....

Thanks

Nope. That's what the Workbench is for. MySQL installs itself simply as a Database Engine. If you want to use it you either need to access it through the command prompt, or download the Workbench.

The Workbench will let you connect to the engine using a visual interface where you can setup users and permissions to tables and databases.

I dont have a firewall so cannot open port 3306 (dont know any other way to either).

Seriously? You understand how dangerous that is? I find that strange though, as any windows version you have now, comes with a firewall. So unless you purposely disabled it, you should have a firewall.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Hi

Great, I clicked on earlier and did this, I have done this and it looks better , sorry I am new to MySql.

So and I hope not to many questions now

1. How do I import and Access database into this or could you point me in the right direction of good training notes for it
2. Do you know of any free on line training notes to get me going how to create databases, users, etc.....

Many thanks for your help

The best place to go is the MySql online Manual. It has samples for every thing in the engine. And explanations for anything you may need.

To incorporate the database, you can have Access export it as comma separated values, or even as sql statements, and feed them directly into the Database.

There's also a guide you can follow:
Migrating From MS Access To MySQL

Phil AKA Vacunita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back