Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What to do with 70-291??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwvdvos

Technical User
Nov 23, 2007
NL
I am studying very hard for the 70-291 test for some months now, but is doesn't seem to help.
Taking a test exam at my training institute gives me a score of 300 points.
Can give me a tip on the best way to study. It would be my first time taking this test, but it also will be a boost for my carrier.

Tnx in advance

fwvdvos said:
Can give me a tip on the best way to study.
Since you asked, the best advice I can offer is to take a practice exam and then focus on the areas that you are weakest.

Sometimes (with multiple-choice questions) it helps to understand more why the wrong answers are wrong than why the right answer is right.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE: Security 2003

Just took the 70-291 exam on Thursday at first attempt and got 760... Not as good as my 70-290 score (899) but didnt really care as I knew it was a harder exam - and who uses RRAS? :)

Key points - RRAS, WSUS and DNS.

For me, I worked through the 70-291 course materials (using post-it notes to write key points on). When finished, I stuck all the post-its into an excercise book in order. Then I read through it..

When I had finished this, I started on Testking and Transcender practice tests. I had about 4 questions on the actual exam that were the same as Transcender/Testking.
If you are doing these tests and get 65%+ regularly - you're ready.. I only did about 10-20 questions at a time.

Mark Minasi has some good Windows 2003 books for reference. I used his books for my NT4 exams years ago and swear by them.

Good luck..

NP

I always just go for the big MS book read through that the Labs, I do these in a virtual environment so I can save at each stage and redo it over and over) are great and so far haven't had to resit any exams.

Don't really do the "testking" thing as I've heard they have a lot of wrong answers so would prefer not to sit there second guessing myself.

Having said all that I deal with AD, GP, SQL, Exchange on a daily basis.......

Big blue + Labs = Happy happy happy!!!

Good luck
Iain

Read up on DNS stub zones, conditional forwarders and delegations and when MS thinks they should be used i had quite a few questions on this.

Achillesx, you actually had WSUS questions on 70-291? I remember having them on 70-290, but I haven't seen anything in my review material for 70-291 that mentions WSUS yet.

Though there's tons of DNS and RRAS.

Well, I took the 70-291 today and passed. I didn't think the test was that hard, other than it being the longest of the tests that I have done so far.

And yes, there were WSUS questions on it. About half of my questions were DNS, with a big chunk of RRAS and WSUS thrown in for good measure. I only had 3 simulations, one on AD Delegation and two on RRAS. There was a bit about subnetting, and there was a fair amount on group policy and security templates. Probably 10-15% of the questions involved being able to use troubleshooting/diagnostic tools like Network Monitor and the System Monitor/Perfmon console.

Arent the tests different each time so that one person may get a lot of subnetting and RRAS and the next person wont?

MCSE NT 4.0, MCP (2003), A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

Yes. Which is funny because I didn't do so well on the RRAS sections at all, but still managed a decent passing score. On the score report all of the bars were all the way to the right-hand side except the RRAS section, and it was almost all the way to the left, but I still got something 850-ish. If anyone actually used Windows 2003 servers for routers or remote access devices I'd be worried, but in almost 10 years I've never seen it.

Although I do find it interesting that it is possible for someone to totally bomb an entire knowledge area on the exam and still pass (and get a decent score).

get a big 600 page book and a few adderall. read the entire book in 1-2 days about a week from your exam. after your done reading, go back through the book and make flashcards-- even though you wont use them, it helps to write stuff down. now your ready for the practice tests. i do around 20 at a time, and reward yourself afterwards. say ok, i can't go the fridge until that says 20, i cant turn on the tv until it says 80.. it works, trust me

the day before the test, wake up early and study all day, but make sure you go to bed early. wake up 2 hours before the test and chug a red bull or two, this stimulates your mind and gives you wings. do the practice test up until the exam. pass

Call me crazy, but if you have to go to those extremes just to pull a 700 on an exam, you're probably in over your head to begin with. Besides, amphetamines aren't going to be any help to you when it comes to doing your job after you get the certification, so why should you rely on them to pass the test?

If you want to take that approach you could probably get all sorts of certifications with no actual hands on or practical experience at all. And we all know how well those people work out...

This test is the absolute worst exam by Microsoft. It contains sooo many unrealistic scenarios, and an all out non-practical approach at things. A very heavy dose of DNS covers most of the exam. If you do not have a lab of at least one server and client at home, then you can forget passing this one.

A+
Network+
MCSA Server 2003
MCTS Server 2008: AD
MCTS Server 2008: Network Infrastructure

I disagree. I didn't find the scenarios very unrealistic at all, especially if you're used to working in large environments. The only part that I would call totally unrealistic is the heavy push on RRAS, because so few people use it.

I have worked in large environments before, and they did not do silly things such as having a stub zone point to a DNS delegation for a subdomain. If you think it is practical, you try it.

A+
Network+
MCSA Server 2003

Hi,
This is my first post. I am a johnny come lately. First thing, congrats on those who did pass. I work in a job that doesn't give me the greatest opportunity to experience the administration side. Anyway, just took 70-291 for the second time. This time it was free, but did worse than the first time.

I'll admit, I don't know it inside and out, but felt better about it. I have been casually studying for it for about a year. Anyway, it is hard, I scored hi on the RRAS the first time, but this time didn't . Definitely know I need to focus on IP Add and Name Resolution. Both times have been poor.

I studied out of the Sybex book, cover to cover. I bought MeasureUp, the first test center did have a lot of DNS, DHCP, WSUS, Sys. Mon/ Net. Mon. and simulation, I found a Transcender that matched the first, almost exactly, then today, a different test center, fairly similar but, came out feeling a bit beat up.

In conclusion, I am thinking of trying a different test, just for a confidence boost, maybe XP or Vista. Already have 70-290 passed. My supervisor/mentor thinks so (he is MCT)Thoughts? Thanks

If you're thinking of doing either Vista or XP, I'd say go with Vista. The exam is ridiculously easy compared to the XP exam, and the Vista certification can be used towards 2008 certifications if you want to go that route. I took the XP exam for my MCSE, then I had to take the Vista test for my MCITP. If I had done Vista the first time around it would have counted towards both.

I would suggest keep trying. If you postpone the test, it will be like starting over with studying. A good strategy is to do the simulations last. This will keep your momentum going. I learned from a MCT that there are only 3 simulations used for this test, so this helps.

A+
Network+
MCSA Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back