Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What to do after creating new EMC device 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugonovo

MIS
Jul 21, 2003
PT
Good afternoon.

I have set a new metadevice in ControlCenter and put the correct masking to the host. My problem is that the host doesn't see the device!!!

The host is a Sun box with solaris 9. I would like to do this procedure without make any reboot on my server.

Is it possible?

Regards,
Hugo Novo

Hugo Novo
Portugal

take a look to the LUN number, modify your sd.conf (/kernel/drv/sd.conf) and reboot the server.

Done.

The main problem with SUN is you must tell to the server wich LUNs you will use, by default all targets with LUN 0 are in the sd.conf file, but when you add LUNs in clariion or symmetrix, usually the LUN is different than 0.

Cheers.

Ok, but as I told before, I would like to see the new disk without rebooting the box. Is it possible?

Regards,
HN

Hugo Novo
Portugal

if you must to modify the sd.conf and/or lpfc.conf/qla2x00.conf file (for persistent binding), then you **need** to reboot the server in order to force the kernel read the new sd.conf/lpfc.conf/qla2x00.conf file. If no files are modifyed, the just run:

drvconfig
devlinks
disks

format (to see the newly disks added)

Cheers.

Hi hugonovo,

What Chacalinc said is right, if you want to be able to see new device without reboot, complete every target from 1 to 255 and luns from 0 to 255 ; btw if your Sun server got the latest generation of fiber hba (leadvill driver) you can add news devices without reboot and without modifying sd.conf and so on..

Cheers

Chris78

To my understanding the leadville driver only works with Qlogic (qlc) HBA's...Systems with Emulex, and or JNI HBA's will still have to be rebooted...The sd.conf file is only read at boot time....

Solarisman....

Hi hugonovo,

try "/usr/sbin/devfsadm" and after this normaly you see the new Disk on Host, if the VCM Database is correct.
You dont have to reboot. I tryed this often on Solaris 5.8.

Greetz, Olli.

Well. Assuming that you have a Sun-OEM HBA with the ledville driver stack on it (You should install the SUNWsan packages), you can dynamically reconfigure your disks with no sd.conf modifications.

The procedure I've used is the following:

first, find the controller number of your HBA using cfgadm -al . The controller is one of c1,c2...cN

Rescan your HBA using cfgadm, eg;

cfgadm -c configure cN

Then run devfsadm -C to create the devicenodes for your (hopefully) newly discovered targets.

Run format to verify that the new disks show up in the list - you'll see an instance of each disk per controller target on the EMC (typically 2-8, depending how many controllers you have on the EMC and locally)

If you can see the disks in format you could start using them already, however I assume that you're using powerpath to handle multipathing/failovers, in which case you should also update your emcpower devices. This is achieved as follows:

- Run /etc/powercf -q and /etc/powermt check (to clear out any dead paths to removed devices)

- Run /etc/powermt config to discover any new devices

- Run /etc/powermt display dev=all and verify that you now have a new emcpower device that points to the LUN ID you configured on the EMC.

Partition the disk in format using the emcpowerNa device, ditto for DiskSuite.

Sorry if this is redundant info, hope it may help someone ;)

There is no need to reboot Solaris 9 after changing the sd.conf file, use "update_drv -f sd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back