Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What the heck is an MCDN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maylok

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2001
US
While viewing information on my Option 11 using LD 20 I came across an entry I'd not seen before. Can anybody tell me what an MCDN is? Thanks for any help on this.

This is a copy of my session:

REQ: prt
TYPE: dnb
CUST 0
DN 1880
DATE
PAGE
DES

DN 1880
TYPE MCDN

???
I just checked my Meridian Sys Admin books on LD 20. there is no MCDN type listed. MDM is the closest thing and that's a Modem...

Sorry. Monkeylizard
-Isaiah 35-

That's odd - according to Nortel, it's a Meridian Customer Defined Network and it shows up under LD 20. Problem is, nobody seems to know what it does or is used for. It''s causing a conflict when I attempt to add a new area code (805). Thanks.

MCDN has to do with ACD's.
Go to LD 23 and type :
REQ PRT
TYPE MCDN
CUST xx (customber number)
MCDN 1880

this will print out info on what 1880 is used for.
and maby tell you if you can delete it...

Good luck.

Ah! That's what I was looking for - ACD's I understand. Thanks a lot - I'll check it out.

OOPS... sorry Maylok.
You should type CDN not MCDN to the TYPE promt !

CDN is Controlling DN. That is several CDN's can
point to the same ACD, but have individual settings.
Those setting are what you see in LD23 when you
print CDN.

But I can't see why the CDN 1880 should conflict
with your area-code 805 ???
Are you shure that's the problem ?
Or do you have existing DN's that starts with 805...?

Geir.

MCDNs show up on our system as the route to Meridian Mail. The DN for mail is 7000. In LD 11 print a DNB and use 7000 as the DN and is shows as MCDN with two TN numbers (two port system). Printing the TN in LD11 gives more info. IE ACD numbers etc

A MCDN is an Message Centre Directory Number. It is an ACD queue which has the Message Wait Centre (MWC) prompt set to YES in LD 23. The ACD needs to be a MWC for sets to be able to FNA, Hunt and CFW to the ACD-DN. When the ACD-DN is printed in LD 20 it will appear as a MCDN.

Cheers

Basically NCDN is the Nortel proprietary Networking/Signallng standard.

The Nortel Website tells me...

"MCDN (Meridian Customer Defined Networking)
MCDN is a Nortel Networks proprietary ISDN-PRI signalling protocol used to interface one BCM to either another BCM, or a Meridian 1 system.

MCDN is used to network voice switching capabilities only, and provides networking features such as Calling Party Name Display, Network Messaging Services and Message Waiting Indication. MCDN has been enhanced to enable networking with Voice over IP."

It uses the D channel like ISDN to signal, but it is a manufacturer's proprietary standard

how in gods name do you out an MCDN. I've outted all my TN's for the ACD but I can't out the MCDN.

ld 23
out
acd

if you prt it 1st you'll see mwc = yes.. that made it a msdn

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

normal usage is for voice mail.. ivr, any app that needs to light a lamp

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status