Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Terminal Emulator to use for Win XP and Vista? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErrorMagnet

Technical User
Mar 21, 2006
NO
I still have lots of customers with old Meridan systems, accessed remote by dial up modem connections. However good terminal emulators seems very hard to find these days. Have just tried to inst ProComm Plus 4.8, just to observe that my entire PC went unstable and Win XP seems damaged.

Hyperterminal doesn't connect well to Meridian Mail, and scrollback buffer shuffles the text.

Putty has no dial-up functionality.

And all the good old stuff like "Terra Term" and "Telix" have not been fitted for new OS'es for ages, and will probably cause more trouble.

Do anyone have a good Terminal Emulator suggestion for Win XP and Vista?

I use Vandyke's SecureCRT for all my terminal needs on XP and Vista and couldn't be happier. I have never connected to a Meridian system with it, but use it for telnet/ssh into servers, console into routers, ethernet switches, carrier transport equipment and dialup as well. Maybe it will be what your looking for:

Thanks for quick answers. Have tested SecureCRT before, but found it too expensive for covering such basic needs. Maybe I have to reconsider that now.

Reflections by WRQ works well and runs a Visual Basic bakground for scripting.

Mato' Was'aka

I'm not sure why or how Procomm did anything to your XP but I have used it for years with no issues. For me personally, I wouldn't even try anything else.

War Eagle!
Lions Baseball '09!

If you do a "default" Procomm install, it wants to install some Internet and fax related drivers. I just specify "custom" install and never have trouble. I've put it on hundred's of XP boxes.

~~~
[small] [©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators [/small]

Same headache for me.

When I use HyperTerminal for CS1000E (Release 5.0), I've got scrollback buffer shuffled if the buffer is full. I have to disconnect the modem and redial. Painful.

I have exactly the same HyperTerminal setup for multiple Meridian 1 PBXes without any problem.

Now I try to use WRQ Reflection. But the connection wizard forces me to input contry code and area code. Is there a way to bypass this? It looks like I have to create a SCL for my modem extension.

Another concern is that for each dialup to a local number, the country code "1" is added as prefix. Does this generate long-distance fee? I am in Canada and our PRI is with Telus.

Many thanks.

Putty does have dialup support you just need to use the serial connection and the atdt commands. No address book but it works. I just copy and paste out of an excel file when I use it. Works great in a pinch.

I second or third that procomm plus works on XP with no issues here.

I use an old (1998 revision) version of ERICOM PowerTerm 525. Got it from a friend who worked at Compaq around 2001 or 2002 and they used this on their laptops. I believe they have a MUCH newer version today... this was carried over from the DEC days. It does dial-in and everything that you ever want. Emulates and connects via COM port, LAT, Telnet, and CTERM. VT525, 420, 320, 220, 100, and 52. Very customizable.

I would NEVER use Hyperterm... it is a pile of garbage. That's why it comes free with Windows. ;)

John Panzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back