Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what tech employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmathews

Technical User
Jun 26, 2004
US
Hi.

I work for a small ISP with 1000 business customers. We have always teamed with a technology company that provided networking/server installation/virus protection/wiring, etc to our customers. We will no longer be working with them as of October 1st. We'd like to expand into the business enterprise market. I'd like to know what employee skills we should be looking for.

While I'm a firm believer in certs, you should be looking for experience. I know people that have all kinds of certs, but they got them from brain dumps, where they fill your head with the awnsers to the MS tests, but no knowledge. You should be looking for experience. Someone that has actually dealt with networks, servers, client computers and CLIENTS. Someone that knows how to talk to customers that have problems without losing there temper, and with the ability to talk the customer to the point where the customer can tell them what the problem is. Most customers don't have a clue as to the problem, nor do they have the training to find the problem. You need someone who can draw the correct awnsers from the clients by asking the right questions. You also need to find someone who is not afraid to keep current, and has the ability to keep everything up to date. (Servers need patches, anti-virus needs to be kept up to date, etc. Note, in the past two days the authorities believe it was the Russina Mafia who attacked a host of servers across the world, trying to get credit card numbers from them. This is not a joke, yet how many people know about it? Good luck. If you need anymore ideas, let us know.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Greetings Robert,

When you say that you want to expand into the business enterprise market, what size businesses are you talking about? The type of market you enter will determine what "technical skills" an employee needs. It will also determine whether the employee needs the certifications as well as the qualifications.

I work primary with the "mom and pop" size businesses. Usually no more than 15 systems, and most don't have a dedicated server. Almost all have high speed internet access, but security is low on their list of priorities.

I have 20 years experience but never have taken any formal training. It didn't exist when I started. I have never been asked if had certification, only if I could solve the problem.

I agree with Glen's comments about experience and I think more importantly the persons people skills. Your employee needs to know how to build a relationship with the client. He needs to know when he is close to exceeding his capabilites. He has to think like an owner and not like an employee. By this I mean that he has to put the customers needs above his own and always do the right thing.

I suggest you read a book by Michael Gerber call “The E-Myth”. It may open your eyes to a few things.

Also, I would do a survey of some sort of your potential client base to determine their wants, needs and desires. Know what the answer is makes it easier to as the questions to get the business.

Let me know if you want to hear more.

Marc

Please define "business enterprise market". I work with an ERP - Enterprise Rousource Planning - software package, however it does not nearly cover all the needs of what I would call the "business enterprise".

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Thanks for the responses. Certainly employees who can communicate and work with clients are important. I'm looking for a break out of what employee skill sets I'll need to provide cabling, routers, firewalls, switches, servers (possibly), workstations, phone systems, wireless, virus/worm protection, etc to the SMB market (probably the under 15 employee market as well as some 15 to 50 employee companies).

Thanks,

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back