Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHAT SUN BOX FOR A NEW MEDIA MANAGER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaserc

Programmer
Feb 16, 2001
US
hello all,
What hardware would anyone reccommend for a new media manager. I need to have 4 HBAs in it - to connect 8 LTO gen3 tape drives. what is a good server and not overkill?
v440?

yeah - I am leaning towards a 240. Are there any options for PCI cards or does Sun have a "standard" hba that they supply?

This is a wonderful document that applies to ALL versions of Netbackup. This is MUST reading! It describes all facets of spec'ing out a new media server.

VERITAS NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 6.0 Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide for UNIX, Windows, and Linux

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

after reading this, I think that I will try to get management to get me a 440. The docs calls for one CPU per two gen 3 tape drives and I worried about expansion also. with a 240, I am limited to 3 PCI slots and with a 440, I can have up to 6. Thanks to all for teh suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back