Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Storage Device do you use? I need to buy one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixiepoet

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
I have NetWare 6 with Backup Exec 9.

My Storage device (HP T20xi Tape Storage) is quirky and I just found out that it does not have NetWare 6 drivers available for it!

I want to buy a nice SCSI DAT one. Do any one of you our there have a good one you could recommend? Thanks!!!

The SDLT Tape drive should be worth looking at or if you have several servers maybe a tape library that uses SDLT tapes.

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

With more than 10 years experience to share.

Thank you very much for your input. I was wondering what company makes the SDLT Tape Drive you recommend?

We only have one server and 10 workstations and 8 users. I am a tech support person they hired to be their administrator!

Mark is right, SDLT drives are great. We just installed 2 new ones a few months ago and we have not had any problems with them. They are easy to set up and get going. We bought Compaq SDLT 110/220 GB. Sounds like your operation may not require that kind of space. We have been using DLT drives for years and we have also had luck with them. I believe you can get 40/80GB drives. Compaq (now HP) makes some decent models. I have used DAT before as well, but prefer the DLT.

We use Arcserve 7 for software, and while we have it running fine, there are alot of tweaks, patches and updates to get it to run correctly, but once it is up and running, it seems to work pretty well. Their tech support helped us with the tweaking, (modifying the BTrieve configuration files, etc.)

SSWNET:

Thank you for your input. That really gave me a good 2nd opinion.

We have need for only about 5 GB of data running at about 1.1 GHz. What is the difference between a SDLT and a DLT?

Thank you again.
PixiePoet

We have 12 Netware 5.1 servers all running Arcserve 6.x and all servers have HP 12/24 and some 20/40gig Dat drives. We have had practically zero problems with that combination and all installations are in Compaq servers.

we have just recently in our larger servers switched from HP Dat drives to HP DLT 40/80 gig just because DAT drives only go to 40 gig in size. The new Arcserve 7 is ok...to get it up and running it requires quite a few patches to get it to not abend your server in Netware 6 anyways. There are other software options besides Arcserve, their pricing has increase quite abit so we are looking at other software solutions such as Nova Stor, and backupexec.

If you don't need to go beyond 40 gig for backups then a DAT drive is great, reliable and the tapes are a good price compared to the DLT tapes.

Sincerely

Vaughn Bender
CNE 5.x Netware CNE 5.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back